Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Making myself a "BIG BOARD"-are they easy to make or better to buy one made. >
  • Making myself a "BIG BOARD"-are they easy to make or better to buy one made.

• Making myself a "BIG BOARD"-are they easy to make or better to buy one made.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 AM

My husband made me one. I love it.
    Old 07-05-2011, 02:30 PM

I have bought ironing boards at yard sales and thrift stores and made them into folding tables that lower for the grandkids to craft and eat on and are higher to make another counter top in the kitchen when I need more room or for crafting on for me, but I had never thought of using the ironing board for an ironing board. WOW! I am now going to turn one of those boards into an ironing board. How much easier to press fabric and quilts with all that room than to use the tiny pointed ironing boards. Thanks for the wonderful idea!!

Originally Posted by cny_sewer39
    Good Evening Every1,

I hope that all is well with you & your families. I hope every1 had a safe & fun 4th of July. I am thinking about making myself a "BIG BOARD" to go over my ironing board. Are they easy to make :?: :?: Or would it be better to buy one already made :?: :?: Please, any help, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to every1 in advance for your help.

Have a blessed day.

:thumbup: ;-) debra ;-) :thumbup:
    Old 07-05-2011, 04:40 PM

DH made me one, 24x48, it goes on one end of my big cutting table. My table is higher than normal, on risers, and is easier on the back for cutting and ironing.
    Old 07-05-2011, 05:52 PM

MY DH made mine...but picked up a piece of oak countertop at the recycle store...He just copied a friend's board. I covered it with ironing board fabric (from Joanne's), then thin batting, then some fabric (on sale at Joanne's). Pulled it tight and stapled it all in place. So I now have an OAK ironing board cover. (La tee dah). It's heavy but works...and he actually did what I asked and didn't make a ton of improvements. Cost about $10 and then fabric. Gives me a place to cut small fabric and lay things out to press. I love it.
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by cny_sewer39
    Good Evening Every1,

I hope that all is well with you & your families. I hope every1 had a safe & fun 4th of July. I am thinking about making myself a "BIG BOARD" to go over my ironing board. Are they easy to make :?: :?: Or would it be better to buy one already made :?: :?: Please, any help, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to every1 in advance for your help.

Have a blessed day.

:thumbup: ;-) debra ;-) :thumbup:
    MY HUSBAND MADE MINE. TO BUY ONE THEY WANT BIG BUCKS. JUST MEASURE THE LENGTH OF YOUR IRONING BOARD, THEN THE WIDTH AT ITS WIDEST POINT CUT THE BOARD THEN PUT AN EDGE ON EACH LONG SIDE AND STAPLE PADDING AND A COVER AND WHALAAA. MAYBE IF YOU DID A SEARCH ON HERE, THERE MIGHT BE A TUTE FOR IT.
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    Nice! I have no room for it. I have a whole house sewing room. I cut on the kitchen/dining room counter -- huge 8x3.5". Sew in the office/sewing room. I used to have iron in spare bedroom, but now it's in the "office". It's a good way to get a lot of exercise!
    Old 07-05-2011, 07:28 PM

This is the instructions I used....worked great

http://sharonschambernetwork.com

Peg
    Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 PM

My DH and I bought two clearance base cabinets and put a 60" X 24" door on top - stapled batting and muslin on - and have a great stable ironing surface with lots of storage underneath. I was afraid the ironing board would be tippy, and I needed storage.
    Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 AM

I'm going to share my 'moment of stupidity' here:
    My wonderful husband made a beautiful big board for me, to help complete his 'make her a sewing room' project.

I decided to cover it with a maroon fabric, to help match it to the decor. At the time, I thought this fabric had already been washed, I mean, I wash EVERYTHING, so when it bled red onto what I was pressing, because of the steam from the iron, I was so very disappointed.

My advice, be choosy in what fabric you use to cover it. Luckily for me, I just took the staple gun and took off the red, and replaced it with white.

The white matches just fine and most of the red washed out of my project. Live and learn
    Old 07-06-2011, 06:23 AM

I just made one and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Super simple to make and oh so wonderful to use. I made it 24x60 and it fits my cheapo $5.00 Wal~Mart ironing board. It is made with 3/4 inch plywood, 2 layers of W&N cotton batting and canvas from JoAnn's.

Big Board
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]221703[/ATTACH]

Underneath, pointy end
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]221704[/ATTACH]

Underneath, center
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]221705[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-221697.jpe   attachment-221698.jpe   attachment-221699.jpe