Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • making a personal tag for each quilt? >
  • making a personal tag for each quilt?

• making a personal tag for each quilt?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:56 AM

Can anyone HELP? I want to sew, iron,whatever...a personal label for each quilt I'm making for my 22 Grandkids....I had one made and it cost me 10.00.....so I'm hoping for suggestions from all u quilters.. thank u in advance..
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 AM

buy printable fabric sheets and print them from your computer
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:04 AM

Is one kind better than another? Any printer or ink jet printer?
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 AM

Take a look at Spoonflower.com - you can design your own label and order by the fat quarter to get a set of labels.

http://www.spoonflower.com/tags/quilt%20label

Cheers, K
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 AM
    Power Poster

you can simply take a piece of fabric and use a permenent marker and write your own- use a Micron Pigma pen- they are acid free- archival quality- do not bleed, fade- smear- are permenent.
    or you can embroider them- or you can usually find pre-printed ones- sold by the panal or yard at many quilt shops (thimbleberries has some nice ones)
    you can print them onto fabric- you do not have to purchase special fabric sheets for them (they tend to be expensive) ]
    pre=wash your fabric- with detergent- no fabric softener- dry press freezer paper to the back (shiny side to fabric-comes in a big blue box-grocery isle- leaves no residue- is re-usable) cut fabric/freezer paper to the size of printer paper- (make sure all edges are secure- you do not want them to curl in your printer- run it through-
    after printing set aside to *cure* let the inks saturate the fibers- then heat set.
    some people even write on the backs of their quilts- figuring that way there is no chance of someone removing the label.
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 AM

Sewnsewer2 (on this board made me labels for $5.00 each and they were great. If you want 22, she might give you a break. PM her and see. here is a sample of her work. (My son is a drummer)
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-228322.jpe  
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:19 AM
    Power Poster

There are several on the board here that do agood job
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:54 AM

Yep, that's what I do. And if I had 22 to make, that's a perfect opportunity to make sort of a standard template for your self. Here one that I made as practice pieces for a signature square that I made a year or so ago. I ironed light fabric onto freezer paper..and used a doodling book as inspiration.. etc...

I just recalled that I blogged about it.... It's worth a try and I think you will be very satisfying....

http://quilt-knit-run-sew.blogspot.c...uilt-back.html

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    you can simply take a piece of fabric and use a permenent marker and write your own- use a Micron Pigma pen- they are acid free- archival quality- do not bleed, fade- smear- are permenent.
    or you can embroider them- or you can usually find pre-printed ones- sold by the panal or yard at many quilt shops (thimbleberries has some nice ones)
    you can print them onto fabric- you do not have to purchase special fabric sheets for them (they tend to be expensive) ]
    pre=wash your fabric- with detergent- no fabric softener- dry press freezer paper to the back (shiny side to fabric-comes in a big blue box-grocery isle- leaves no residue- is re-usable) cut fabric/freezer paper to the size of printer paper- (make sure all edges are secure- you do not want them to curl in your printer- run it through-
    after printing set aside to *cure* let the inks saturate the fibers- then heat set.
    some people even write on the backs of their quilts- figuring that way there is no chance of someone removing the label.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-228326.jpe  
    Old 07-18-2011, 09:08 AM
    Power Poster

You could use a quilt block with a muslin center and then print in the information with a Micron pen. Keepsake Quilters catalog has a panel of printed labels you could buy and write in your information.
    Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 AM

I do my own by printing on photo paper after designing my label on the computer.