• Main
  • Making samples >
  • Making samples

• Making samples

Old 07-15-2024, 08:07 PM
    Power Poster

Default Making samples

I really don't like doing them.

But doing so sure can minimize a lot of frustration down the road with a project.

Better to botch a 12 inch square than a whole quilt.

Sometimes an idea is so great in my head! and then attempting to bring it forth does result in the execution of that idea.

On the other hand, sometimes I get a happy surprise or an additional bright idea that works out better than expected.

Old 07-16-2024, 03:02 AM

Good idea making samples. You could border them and make doll quilts for some little girls.
    Old 07-16-2024, 05:07 AM

I’ve never been brave enough to cut out an entire quilt at once, in case there’s an error somewhere in the pattern or I just don’t like the scale of it. Or I change my mind partway in.

The fabrics are auditioned to death, so that part isn’t risky.

I usually draw things in several sizes on graph paper, color them in with pencils, and walk by them for a bit. I get very hung up on proportion, for some reason.

I mostly just start with a few blocks after that. I think my samples are probably the graph paper drawings.

hugs,
    charlotte
    Old 07-16-2024, 06:04 AM

Graph paper is my friend but sometimes, a few days, weeks or months later, my drawings are too cryptic even for the author! I am trying really hard, to make the drawing, note the location or reason why the idea came about, and make a sample block. Then, if I like it, I can put them all together in my 'Ideas' box.

Several years ago, I wanted to make a wedding quilt for a dear niece. I got the fabric and pattern, made a sample block and liked it. I then started my cutting with the largest pieces. Thank goodness I had bought extra fabric, and only cut enough for 20 blocks, because I cut every one 1/2 inch to narrow!! Best laid plans...
    Old 07-16-2024, 06:19 AM
    Power Poster

Sample blocks for me, sometimes become mug rugs or vase mats.
    Sometimes I have used them to make tote bags or makeup bags,
    which in my world are more organization pouches than for makeup!

Years ago, I remember being told that one should make their practice blocks in one colour combo.
    Then later, they can be put together as a scrappy quilt. Good idea!!

Otherwise, my extra blocks are kept in a box labelled "orphanage.
    My go-to when I want something ready to make into something else!!
    Old 07-16-2024, 07:16 AM
    Power Poster

I like to make one block at a time for all quilts. I don't care for chain piecing. If I have a block that I sew wrong I save it in a box with other bad blocks. When it gets full I plan on making a Gone Wrong quilt with them.
    Old 07-16-2024, 01:46 PM
    Power Poster

I don't ever cut all the blocks out at once. I know me, and my "lack of precision". I know I make Sally Collins cry! I cut a few, don't mind chain piecing those, and then see how it goes. Since I quilt for my own pleasure, never have a deadline, it works for me.
    Old 07-16-2024, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Otherwise, my extra blocks are kept in a box labelled "orphanage.
    My go-to when I want something ready to make into something else!!
    "Orphanage"! I love that! I make sample blocks with my scraps a lot. Especially when I've resized or changed and drawn it up on graph paper. I always buy extra fabric so I can make a sample block in the actual fabric
    Old 07-16-2024, 07:48 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    "Orphanage"! I love that! I make sample blocks with my scraps a lot. Especially when I've resized or changed and drawn it up on graph paper. I always buy extra fabric so I can make a sample block in the actual fabric
    CashsMom .... Not my originality!! Sometimes the orphans are where I just made too many blocks than were needed for a project. Those often get made into a runner to coordinate, but sometimes, I call it a day, and just send them off to the orphanage!

So you're welcome to start your own "orphanage"!!
    Old 07-17-2024, 03:37 AM

Any “tester” blocks and/or leftovers go in my orphan box. Once the box is full, I separate blocks into what works together piles. I lay them out on my design wall, adding filler strips and small blocks to make them all fit. Turning them into Comfort quilts and sometimes I like them so well, I have kept a couple for myself. If you like puzzles, it’s a fun way to use up those blocks.