Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Making a throw that looks like a quilt >
  • Making a throw that looks like a quilt

• Making a throw that looks like a quilt

Old 10-13-2010, 04:23 PM
    np3
    Power Poster

I have quilter friends who will no longer use sheets even for the backs. They do not last as long. Think about the difference in your sheets from the time you buy them to what they are like 4-5 years later.
    Old 10-13-2010, 04:34 PM

Over 30 years ago, I made my first quilt. I used a bed sheet, drew my squares, ironed on designs and then did the embroidery by hand. I used an old blanket for batting. For the backing I used a "cheat" quilt fabric. I quilted around every square with 6 strands of varigated thread. This quilt was used for my second child and still being used now for grandchildren. Every child loves the quilt. To me, I see all the mistakes, but then, I think, I was in my early 20s didn't own a sewing machine, never took a sewing class, but I saw quilts at a fair and thought I can do that.
    Old 10-13-2010, 04:58 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by np3
    I have quilter friends who will no longer use sheets even for the backs. They do not last as long. Think about the difference in your sheets from the time you buy them to what they are like 4-5 years later.
    I have sheets that are 10 years old that we use all the time and they look and feel fine. All cotton ones, and some cotton/poly ones.
    Old 10-13-2010, 06:24 PM

I have quilter friends who will no longer use sheets even for the backs. They do not last as long. Think about the difference in your sheets from the time you buy them to what they are like 4-5 years later.[/quote]
    ------------------------------------------------
    I'm famous in my family for NEVER throwing anything away, and I have sheets that date back many years, and are still looking good. I can't imagine sheets NOT lasting, never heard of any dying early. Dogs tearing holes in them, cats clawing holes in them, kids learning to use scissors and cutting everything in sight..but sheets wearing out?
    Changed every week, washed in cool water, cheap soap and bleach if white, dried in dryer, folded and put up till next week's change.
    Old 10-13-2010, 06:29 PM

I've had sheets that were used often wear out. Parts of the sheets were worn so that they were like tissue paper. They were not cheap sheets, either.
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:03 PM

Give it a shot... what's the worst that can happen? Long as the machine will be ok moving any bulk envolved.
    Lots of thinks work that aren't suppose to :)
    Welcome to Quilting only fun ahead !!
    Old 10-14-2010, 02:06 AM

I would give it a try on a small project first perhaps a wall hanging. But I think it would work. I've use my embroidery machine on my quilts before and after they are layered. If hooping before layer I used sticky stabilizer, if hooping after I used a water soluable.
    Old 10-14-2010, 05:27 AM

Sheets are like any other fabric...there is good and bad in all. I worked in a cotton mill, the exact same fabric was packaged in all different price ranges...only changed the tags or the print on the selvage. Sometimes it went as far as being the exact same only changing the paper label or style of bag.
    Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 AM

To find a suitable sheet to quilt with...look at the sheets in your closet...the ones that always look their best...check out the sewn in label to determine if its 100% cotton...if its 100% cotton and has a great feel it could be the same fabric that a cotton mill prints into a designer fabric. All fabric starts out the same way...thread count...weaving...dye...etc...makes the difference