Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Man needs help with fabric... >
  • Man needs help with fabric...

• Man needs help with fabric...

Old 07-25-2011, 04:33 PM

Go to Walmart and get the Avery Fabric Transfer 3-pack. It is wonderful. The package will tell you how to put the sheets (3) in your computer printer and print the pictures you have on your computer. Hope it works out for you. You can purchase the pack on the Walmart online site -$6.51 a pack.
    Old 07-25-2011, 04:44 PM

gosh, what a nice thing to do - please be sure to take a pic of your work so we can see how it turned out! sharet
    Old 07-25-2011, 06:40 PM

Dan,
    This is a great idea for her. You know we want to see the finished product.
    Also the Bob Marley quilt I did was done with the pre-done fabrics you can buy at any fabric store. Just be sure you let the inks dry before working with them.

This is how I did mine.
    Crop the prints like you want them. If the pictures are sort of small and you think you will need some added color around the edges instead of white, put it in there before printing your pictures. I use a program called Print Master to do mine because I'm able to add background colors to the page before adding the pictures on top.

Then I print the pictures, most of the time I have several on a page but be sure you leave enough room between the pictures for seam allowances. I spaced mine 1" apart or more.

Once the pictures are printed, let them sit to dry real good. Usually within an hour at most.

Remove the backing off the fabric. Heat set the pictures onto the fabric.
    I then use a mild solution of washing detergent in the sink and gently hand wash each printed page. This removes the extra inks. I some times wash them 2 times if I notice a lot of ink coming out.

Then I lay them flat on a towel and roll them up to squeeze the water out of them. You do not want to ring them out as this distorts the fabric and is hard to get them straight. Ask me how I know! lol

Once this is done I unroll them and stretch them into shape and let them air dry over night and then iron them before using in the quilts.

Here is a link to my Bob Marley quilt if you want to see how mine came out.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-82541-1.htm

Good luck!
    Sue
    Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 PM

This is so sweet of you! Now to your question there are paper products on the market that you can use in your computer some low quality, some high quality. the higher end stuff cost much more but worth every penny. Also, products you can run through your computer and then iron on any fabric would not advise these! The bests a paper and muslin is like 2.50 per sheet(8x10) you need a ink jet printer.I can get you the name on Tuesday if no one else has it. Let me know.
    Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 PM

Don't know about InkAid...but I used BJSet2000 a lot. A good 100% cotton muslin is fine. I haven't tried Kona in the Snow color. Most of the quilts I have done are on unbleached or bleached muslin.
    I have also used a cotton/poly blend (permanent press). You will do fine as long as you follow the directions.
    Dharma Trading has free how to's on their site..also..they have the fabric pretreated and on freezer paper already for you...much cheaper than the 3 for 10 you can buy...and just as good a quality.
    I make my own up..about 50 cents each..much better than 3.00 each for the June Taylor.

Marge

Originally Posted by dan rivers
    This is a surprise for my wife. I want to print on cotton fabric, all her grandchildren and give them to her as a present. She has always wanted to do this, but she is apprehensive. I have learned about Bubble Jet and Ink Aid, but I want a good cotton white fabric to print on. Where should I go? Robert Kaufman? Moda? Who? Point this old boy in the right direction. I got a lady to make happy! Dan.
    Old 07-25-2011, 10:11 PM

Dan,
    I also would go with Printed Treasures fabric packs. They aren't inexpensive, but they always work for me. There is nothing to mess with. You just put the sheets in the printer and print whatever is on your computer screen. Then you peel the backing off and I always heat set mine by ironing them face down on a paper towel. I think they are the easiest, best way to go. I also use them for labels on the back of my quilts, just downloading from word documents. I think they make iron on ones and sew on ones. I have only used the ones that you sew. Quilter's Home magazine tested all of these products and Printed Treasures won for crispness, permanence, etc. Good luck. You are a great guy.
    Old 07-26-2011, 07:04 AM

If you purchase the fabric sheets from a fabric store meant for printing pictures on - you can't go wrong - just follow the simple directions and you'll have beautiful pictures to be put into a quilt - good luck! You will make her ecstatic! She'll love you so much more! :)
    Old 07-26-2011, 10:36 AM

Be sure to make sure that you can wash after printing. I bought one pkg. of printer fabric only to find out that it was not washable. Aghhhhh
    Old 07-26-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sewfine
    You can buy computer print fabric from any fabric store. I brought two packs, but have not used it yet. Be sure to read all the instructions before beginning.
    I have gotten this from JoAnn's and it works well.
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 PM

I have used Printed Treasures for printing on fabrics and love it. You need to follow the directions well. It is high quality fabric that is treated to accept Ink Jet ink.