Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Marking with chalk pencils - need help!!!! >
  • Marking with chalk pencils - need help!!!!

• Marking with chalk pencils - need help!!!!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:36 AM

Unhappy Marking with chalk pencils - need help!!!!

I used the Bohin chalk pencil to mark a huge quilt with many many designs. Would you believe there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING that would remove the chalk marks. The quilt is totally ruined. 800 hours of work down the drain. What do you quilters use to mark quilting patterns?? I'm ready to go back to my sharpened #2 lead pencil. At least those marks aren't quite so visible under the stitching. Yes, I am totally sick, sick, sick......
    Old 08-30-2013, 10:55 AM
    Power Poster

I started looking for something to help you and found a post that came right back into this site. I wrote the words "removing Bohin chalk". If you go to the little white window in the upper right of the screen just above where it says advanced search, it may take you right to it. Good luck. I hope your quilt is not truly ruined. I know how it feels to work for some time and feel like it was wasted.
    Old 08-30-2013, 11:02 AM
    Power Poster

is the quilt all quilted & bound? have you laundered it? I have used that chalk many, many times over the years- the marks have always come out in the wash- I always launder my finished quilts- in the washer- with regular detergent on a regular setting- the chalk has always been gone when the quilt came out- you didn't say what color you used- once I used the pink and had to spritz with 'shout' in a couple spots to get it all out- I always remove the washed quilt & look it over before drying it to make sure all marks have come out- so I can treat any remaining- that's the only time I had a problem with chalk- since then I just stay away from the pink.
    Old 08-30-2013, 11:03 AM
    Power Poster

here is a google search for threads on the QB about the Bohin chalk pencil https://www.google.com/#q=removing%2...ltingboard.com
    best wishes for a successful finish
    Old 08-30-2013, 12:39 PM
    Power Poster

You say you've tried everything, so I assume that includes washing the quilt with detergent? Every article I've read on marking a quilt cautions that you try the markers out first on the fabric you intend to use - yet I just used the Bohin chalk on a quilt that I was making without trying it out. Fortunately for me, the marks came out just fine. I think it depends on the fabric, the color of the chalk, the amount of time the chalk has been on the fabric, and possibly on what music was playing while you applied the chalk. I hope you find something that will take out the chalk marks. If you post a picture of the quilt perhaps someone will have another idea for how to remove them.
    Old 08-31-2013, 05:21 AM

I just used the eraser and it came right out. Also, you can use a damp cloth, but honestly the attached eraser worked the best. I used the white Bohin chalk pencil and it was on black fabric.
    Old 08-31-2013, 10:46 AM
    Power Poster

What colour did you use? I had a coloured chalk stay in the thread even though it came out of the fabric. I hope you can launder the quilt and it comes out.
    Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 AM

I've had good luck with a paste of Dawn dish washing soap, oxy & shout. I used a toothbrush to get under the stitches, as the blue chalk I used actually stained the thread. It did take 5 washings in cold, air drying between, before getting it completely clean. I will never use chalk again. I now use golden threads paper, which I stitch thru with thread less needle and the iron off pounce. Works great! Keep on working on that quilt, I hope it comes out!
    Old 09-01-2013, 01:20 PM

Okay, so now I know which marker NOT to buy! Can anyone recommend a brand to use?

Hoping you are able to remove it with some of the tips here.
    Old 09-01-2013, 05:31 PM
    Banned

No answer about what color used. The color makes a difference.