Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Martelli, Millie, Or Handi? >
  • Martelli, Millie, Or Handi?

• Martelli, Millie, Or Handi?

Old 08-25-2019, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer
    I'm surprised that you haven't found several threads on this site about purchasing long arms. Yes, do go to a major show and try all of them. Also check the LongArm University website for a checklist of features for you to consider. You mention that you and your wife will both be using? You'll need hydraulics to adjust the frame/table easily as they are super heavy. Also, you don't say, but you might be interested in a computerized system if you plan to start a business.
    Any brands (Innova, Gammill, APQS, Nolting, etc) that is a true industrial machine will last forever, so don't shy away from purchasing used.
    Thank you for the suggestions.

Yep, we’ll both be using the machine so the adjustable height is a must. Zero plans for a business venture.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-26-2019 at 02:30 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 08-25-2019, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz
    I bought my Millie from Connie Keller in Lewisville, TX (north of Dallas on 35E) http://www.apqstexas.com/
    We stopped at Quilt Country on the way home and Connie just happened to be there doing some paperwork. She dropped everything and spent a lot of time with us on different APQS models. Nothing makes a great first impression like excellent service. Very impressed with her. My wife definitely loved the Millie. We’ll be going back for a software demo soon.

Looks like Millie and Martelli get the nod so far with us. We need to look into the Innova though. That’s a new one to us.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-26-2019 at 02:31 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 08-25-2019, 06:25 PM

If at all possible, go take a class on actually quilting with one. I didn't before I went to a quilt show and had big thread messes that the sales people had to clean up. If you have a friend that has one that would be perfect to just practice on. When you don't know what one is supposed to feel like, it's really hard to judge. When I was looking for a new one, I really liked the APQS machines for their ease of movement. So many people rave about their Innova's. Even though you haven't mentioned the Innova, their love of their machines would make me look at those for sure.

I use a stitch regulator and like it. Others don't. It's all in what you end up liking.

Having a dealer close that does repairs and understands your machine is something I consider important. I have an older Nolting that I bought preowned. I need to do something different on my table because the machine hangs up going both ways. The machine itself doesn't give me very many problems and is all mechanical which means my husband can time it and do any maintenance.

Where are you located?

A couple of other things....Buy the biggest throat you can afford. Mine is a 24 inch and the maximum pantograph I can do is a 15". You would think I could do up to 24, but you have the needle back from the edge and the quilt rolls up into the throat so you lose that space. I would expect that a 20 inch could maybe do a 12" panto. Check how far across from the front you and your wife can reach. I can't reach all the way across a Gammill quilting frame. That would never work for me. Sometimes I have to do adjusting of fabric and stitching with my hand smoothing the fabric and I have to reach the other side

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 08-25-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    Old 08-25-2019, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana
    ....Where are you located?

A couple of other things....Buy the biggest throat you can afford. Mine is a 24 inch and the maximum pantograph I can do is a 15". You would think I could do up to 24, but you have the needle back from the edge and the quilt rolls up into the throat so you lose that space. I would expect that a 20 inch could maybe do a 12" panto. Check how far across from the front you and your wife can reach. I can't reach all the way across a Gammill quilting frame. That would never work for me. Sometimes I have to do adjusting of fabric and stitching with my hand smoothing the fabric and I have to reach the other side
    OKC, OK

Definitely going to be checking into the Innova. HQ and Bernina are the only two sold close by that we have found. She doesn’t like the feel of the Bernina at all. Not even a close second to the smoothness of the Millie.
    Old 08-25-2019, 08:48 PM

Have had a 14’ Millie for many years. The service the company provides is fantastic. They installed hydraulic legs to my table. We also added the Intelliquilter computer set up to it. Their service is also excellent.
    Old 08-26-2019, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by plbgbiz
    OKC, OK

Definitely going to be checking into the Innova. HQ and Bernina are the only two sold close by that we have found. She doesn’t like the feel of the Bernina at all. Not even a close second to the smoothness of the Millie.
    I agree, try taking a class on each machine you’re trying out. It’s invaluable to really learning what the machine can do, and you’ll see if the machine “fits” you.
    Yes, definitely check into the Innova. it may be a little more expensive, but well worth the money. I originally had my heart set on a HQ, but once I tried the Innova at a show I was sold. It was much easier for me to use, smooth as silk to quilt on and didn’t have the clackity-clack sound I felt the HQ had. Don’t worry if they’re not in your immediate area. They have amazing 24/7 customer service, the machines are made to have absolutely no maintenance except for a drop of oil in the bobbin area, and customer service is able to walk you through any problems on the phone. My closest dealer is 5 hours away, and I have absolutely no problem with that. I’ve only had to call customer service once, and they walked me through my problem quickly with complete resolution!
    Old 08-26-2019, 04:11 AM

The Martelli tables are awesome. I haven't bitten the bullet on one yet but I love the adjustability. They are local and I have seen demonstrations at several Guild meetings and their open house. I like to say it does everything but tap dance across the floor.
    Old 08-26-2019, 04:25 AM
    Power Poster

Another super happy Innovian here. Did you Innova also has hydraulic lifts available for their racks and auto advance features? The lightening stitch stitch regulator is the most responsive in the industry. You can upgrade systems without having to buy a new machine so if you want to add robotics down the road you can or you can start out with their regular stitch regulator and upgrade later to lightening stitch. And their rack is the most adaptable as far as customization. Surprised that you haven't considered them.
    Old 08-26-2019, 04:53 AM

machine quilters resource has forums for machine guilters including one on researching machines. I can't include the link because the forum requires sign up but it is free with optional donation.
    Old 08-26-2019, 05:54 AM
    mkc

Originally Posted by Pagzz
    I bought my Millie from Connie Keller in Lewisville, TX (north of Dallas on 35E) http://www.apqstexas.com/
    If you are close enough to stop by that location, are you close enough to do the certification class and rent some time on one of the machines?

That is really the best way to fully evaluate a long arm. Don't just go by test drive. Spend a couple of quilt's worth of quilting time on one. Also try (both of you) different throat sizes. I'm only 5'3" and found the 26" machines to be too deep for my reach when using them for long periods of time. 22" was more of a sweet-spot for me.

For Innova, I believe the closest training center/dealer is Jo's Quilting Studio (although there appear to be several MetroMess sub-dealerships listed on the Innova website). Jo's is typically at the big Dallas Quilt Show in March and their team is super-helpful.

I tried several brands multiple times at the Dallas and Maine shows. I've rented time on both a Millie and an Innova. Had a lot of problems with tension issues on the Millie (had to pick out a LOT of stitches and redo) and the dealer was not really much help (quilt faster, quilt slower). The dealer seemed more interested in pushing a sale rather than making sure the machine impressed. The Innova feel, to me, was better and the more I used it, the more I wanted to keep using it.