Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Matters of Opinion >
  • Matters of Opinion

• Matters of Opinion

Old 01-24-2011, 03:37 PM

I am watching a Fons/Porter program right now and it happens to be on Preprinted panels. She says that the panels ahve been around since the civil war era. They ladies would just add their own embellishments. So I am not sure why you daughter would have said what she did but now you have information as to the history on preprinted panels. The one she is working on is from the international quilt show. Very cool I have to say!
    Old 01-24-2011, 03:37 PM

I have used panels in quilts too and as far as I am concerned they are still real quilts. Never mind what she says I am sure he will love it! Mater is my grandsons and my favorite character fromt he movie too! My 2 yr old DGS's favorite quilt is one I made with a panel of Thomas the Train that I made for his 4 yr old brother when he was a baby.
    Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 PM
    Power Poster

he will LOVE IT!!! and shame on his mom!!!
    kids quilts should be ...kids quilts, quilts they love and can take everywhere ... what 'she' considers a 'real-quilt' is probably one she would stick in a box under the bed anyhow. give him the quilt happily, he will know the love and care. and there is nothing at all wrong with using panals in quilts!!!
    Originally Posted by cherrio
    I am almost done with a new quilt for my grandson. It is a panel of "Tomater" from the movie "CARS" with quilt blocks and borders with a panel of the world on the back with quilt blocks too. His mother asked me on the ph yesterday why I didn't make him a "real" quilt? I was taken back a bit but didn't say so. I worked harder keeping the panel from getting wonky than I did on his other "real" quilts! Kinda hoping he likes it just cause his tomater is on it. do any of you feel it is crappy to use a panel? I used the world on the back so when he is older, or now, he can look at the map and know his dad Army-deployed, is There.
    Old 01-24-2011, 03:43 PM

Its what your grandson thinks that counts! It'll probably be his favorite!
    Old 01-24-2011, 03:44 PM

It doesn't matter what the mother says or thinks, the quilt is for your grandson, not her and he will love it. Regardless, if a panel was used or not, it's the thought that counts, and it's still a quilt, so don't allow her "thoughts" to hurt your feelings.
    Old 01-24-2011, 03:48 PM
    Jim

I'll bet MOM doesnt know what a panel is or what a real quilt is for that matter. Forget her blunder and imagine the big smile on your DGS's face when he sees his Mater Quilt
    Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 PM

Some people speak before thinking. I am sure your grandson will love it and she will too when she sees it.
    Old 01-24-2011, 03:50 PM
    Power Poster

I guess it takes all kinds of people. So sorry that your feelings were hurt. The quilt you made was real, and made with love, so don't worry about it.
    Old 01-24-2011, 03:53 PM

sometimes our children don't think before they speak. just ignore the comment and enjoy giving the "quilt" to the one who will appreciate it. if you have the kind of relationship with your daughter that you can talk this out it would be worth the effort to clear the air. let her know how hurtful that was to you and explain that it is a 'real' quilt. if not, then just let it go. you do not need this grief in your life. just move on.
    Old 01-24-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by montanajan
    Sounds like a very nice quilt. Though I'd never say it, I'd be tempted to tell her it IS a real quilt & someone else would appreciate it, thank you very much!! Maybe she is just stressed right now. The world on the back is a thoughtful gesture as a Daddy reminder.
    Give it to him anyway & don't apologize for anything - it is supposed to be the love that matters, not the pattern, panel, how many hours it took you to get nice borders.
    Sometimes we simply have to 'bite our tongue' & smile - be a better person than she was in this situation.
    Agreed