Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • May I have your opinions please? >
  • May I have your opinions please?

• May I have your opinions please?

Old 07-07-2017, 08:48 AM

I have never had this particular problem, thank goodness. Your idea is clever for sure and will probably solve your problem with the sun.

My concern is that you may actually have the window all the way open and your arm sitting on the door, exposed to the sun and any debris that might kick up on the road - including another car hitting your car. If your arm is not protected with the car door between you and the outside world, a car or a large piece of debris could crush your arm. I'm not making this up; I know of a case where a young womans' arm was crushed so badly that it had to be amputated.

I'd just close the windows and use the AC. If the sun still beats in too hot, use your creation. if that doesn't work, cut a sleeve off a long sleeve shirt and wear it on your arm while in the car.
    Old 07-07-2017, 04:31 PM
    Power Poster

It is 107F right now and as I was driving home, the sun was beating down on my driving arm. Actually burnt my hand touching the window. I was thinking about your post and realized that I would rather wear a long-sleeved cotton shirt. The wrap around the neck would really bother me and it looks a bit unwieldy. Great idea though. If at first you don't succeed, try try again.
    Old 07-07-2017, 07:11 PM
    Power Poster

I usually don't burn and I never drive that long or in that hot of an area.
    Old 07-07-2017, 10:03 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts on my idea. For those of you concerned about the neck strap, I purposely made the strap around the neck to be loose enough to not cause problems, It is tailored in a teardrop shape to avoid the feeling of choking, and I just have it there to keep it from flapping in the breeze. (I can not even wear shirts that fit like a mans Tshirt because, I feel as if I am choking if I do). I wore it today for the first time, and have decided that the only changes I would make is the texture of the fabric. For the record, I do not like using the AC in a car as I must close all the windows to do so and I am very claustrophobic. I have always used 2/40 air conditioning (two windows down, doing 40 mph) in a car. The neck strap did not interfere with the seat belt, and did keep the sun off my arm nicely. Also even using the quilted fabric it did not feel too warm, since I made it very loose fitting around my arm, and being cut somewhat like a dolman sleeve from the elbow to shoulder keeps it from holding the air in. The underarm seam is only from my wrist to just short of my elbow, and the wrist area is loose fitting to allow airflow. I am going to do some reaseach into UV resistant fabrics and try again. I will post it here when I finish it to show the final look. The sleeve is cut in two separate pieces with a center seam, to allow more fit control. I have never seen any of the type some of you have mentioned here, that has elastic at each end, but having elastic around my bicep would prevent me from even trying one. Again, thank you all for your honesty with this. You have given me valuable input.

Last edited by madamekelly; 07-07-2017 at 10:08 PM.