Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Maybe I am mistaken! >
  • Maybe I am mistaken!

• Maybe I am mistaken!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:52 AM

My sister told me that my only niece expected me to make her a DWR for her wedding. When I asked why, she said because I'm the only quilter in the family. But no way could I make one as well as hand quilt it as she wanted in time. I said I could buy a pretty one at Mervyn's, pull out all the hand quilting (SO easy to do) and remake and hand quilt it again myself, but that was not acceptable. And since the niece had never contacted me in over 10 years nor ever sent me a single thank you note for all the gifts and checks I'd given her all her life, I felt no obligation to make her a quilt.
    Instead I made a beautiful wall hanging with one of her favorite poems that she had used in all the table displays at the wedding. I had the 2 frames custom made, the 3 layers were all silk, the corners had to be mail-ordered, and I did the print screening 7 times before I was happy. All in all, the thing cost $100, and I sent it with a nice check as well.
    Never received a thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-256947.jpe  
    Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 AM

By the time the first anniversary rolls around you will be getting ready to make that first baby quilt. LOL
    Stop and enjoy the wedding. Best wishes to all.
    Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by mzmama
    You can make them one for their first anniversary...
    Try your best to take a deep breath. It is hard to wear so many hats. People will understand you can only do so much.

That is exactly what I am trying to do! DD's first anniversary is just a few days away so it won't be done then, but hopefully soon after....I had way too many things to get done to make a quilt then.
    Old 09-15-2011, 06:20 AM

Don't fret about it - make them one later on. They will still appreciate it.
    Old 09-15-2011, 06:41 AM

Make the quilt AFTER they get married. When I hadn't finished a quilt for a cousin and his wife, I put samples of the fabric in their card and told them it was to come. They really liked it.
    Old 09-15-2011, 06:46 AM

Born to quilt, I really like your aviatar. Dont really do tattos but would definately consider inking that on my skin. love it love it
    Old 09-15-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
    OMG, my son & his gf has decided to tied the knot in 6 weeks. 6 Weeks to help plan a wedding and all I get from people is "Are you making them a quilt?". They are surprised when I say "no"! No, I am not, I don't have time to whip up a King size quilt in 6 weeks, find something to wear, line up the cake and help plan the wedding and work!!!Luckily, they are trying to keep it fairly simple and they did asked for some of my help. Do people not realize how much time it takes to put together a quilt and a wedding. I just made her a quilt for her birthday in July! I wish I could make one, but gee. Ok, I just had to get it out there, I know people mean well.
    No I don't think people realize how long it takes to make a quilt or how much it costs or anything else about it!! But we all do, and we understand why she won't be getting a wedding quilt, and I'm sure she understands as well. You're going to have your hands full for a while - Good luck
    Old 09-15-2011, 06:50 AM

My oldest daughter ran off and got married. I found out after the fact and thought it was great! So like her..I'm trying to talk all my other kids into doing the same thing. In the end its all about them anyway and the more people involved the more stress there is. My hub and I are coming up on our 4 year anniversary ~ we ran off to Vegas and got married with Elvis..just us and Elvis and a French Pastor AND I wore a red dress..The stuff memories are made of. =)
    Old 09-15-2011, 06:54 AM

6 weeks is not very much time toget everything done for a wedding, much less make a quilt for them. Do the things you have to do first and make a quilt for them later. I'm sure they will understand (esp. ince you just made a quilt for her birthday not too long ago)
    Old 09-15-2011, 06:57 AM

No, people do not realize how much time and love goes into making a quilt. Make your special couple a quilt for their first anniversary. That will allow you to enjoy the wedding planning and the making of the quilt too.