Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • measurement for block >
  • measurement for block

• measurement for block

Old 08-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Hi everybody... I'm making a 'signature' quilt for a lady I work with as a wedding present and I was just going to boarder each of the blocks with her wedding colors.. however I did not get as many blocks as I was hoping for so now I've decided that I want to do a "martha Washington" block on it. the problem is my block is only 6" total.. that is before any sewing and all the patterns I have for this block is for a larger middle block. I'm not good with measurements so now is my questions.. can someone on here plz figure up the measurements I'll need to do the connecting blocks to make this block work .. thanks so much for any and all your help

Joyce
    Old 08-13-2011, 09:36 AM

is this each signature block that is 6"? is this without sashing or border? how wide will your border be finished?
    if your block is 6 inches finished with sashing or border, then make your center medalion 12 inches square - that will require 2 of the siggie blocks on each side with one for each corner.
    Old 08-13-2011, 10:07 AM

I like to add boarders on by doing them in a log cabin around them. It works so nicely, and I can add different amounts of log cabin strips to make the squares all the same size.
    Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
    is this each signature block that is 6"? is this without sashing or border? how wide will your border be finished?
    if your block is 6 inches finished with sashing or border, then make your center medalion 12 inches square - that will require 2 of the siggie blocks on each side with one for each corner.
    each signature block itself without anything added is 6" I just nn the measurements for the addiditional blocks to make that little block into a martha washington ,, without any sashing or boarders... haven't figured out those just yet just know I want each signature block to be a martha washington block
    Old 08-14-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ploverwi2
    I like to add boarders on by doing them in a log cabin around them. It works so nicely, and I can add different amounts of log cabin strips to make the squares all the same size.
    never thought of doing it this way.... but I think I only want to use the colors of her wedding which are violet and purple