Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Measurement Question >
  • Measurement Question

• Measurement Question

Old 09-16-2009, 03:19 PM

I am almost finished with this quilt, and I have a question about the border measurements. The pattern, as written, has a sawtooth border around the edge of the quilt, and then another solid color border. The sawtooth border is made up of 3-inch squares (before sewing), so 2 1/2-inch squares after sewing.

I would like to put another border around the edge BEFORE the sawtooth border. I realize that by doing that, it could throw off the measurements for the sawtooth border. Let me know if I'm on the right track. (And if I'm not, please set me straight.)

I'm thinking that if I make the border 3 inches (before sewing), so 2 1/2-inches after sewing, the sawtooth border will fit as before. Obviously it would require a couple of more squares, but I'm trying to avoid ending up with less-than-whole squares. I hope this makes sense. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Chimney Sweep Quilt pre-borders
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]45870[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-45870.jpe  
    Old 09-16-2009, 03:58 PM

At first, I was thinking that you are right about keeping the border at 2.5 inches - or something in 2.5" increments. But the more I think about it, isn't the fabric for the sawtooth folded TWICE? If that's the case, wouldn't it throw your measurment off?

Maybe you should make a sample of the sawtooth and measure it at the seamline to be sure. It's been awhile since I did one. I'm sure someone out here has done one more recently than I have and can give you a more accurate response.

DUH, don't mind me...I was thinking Prairie Points. LOL In that case, I would think 2.5 increments would do!
    Old 09-16-2009, 04:22 PM

I have never made a sawtooth border, but your measurements sound right to me.....

Your quilt is gorgeous and I think the sawtooth border will enhance it nicely.