• Main
  • measuring backing  fabric >
  • measuring backing fabric

• measuring backing fabric

Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Originally Posted by romanojg
    I was told the seam can go anywhere except down the center; you can make it with 2 or three seams as long as they aren't in the center.
    Is that because you are sending it out to a LA? Since I can not afford that, and quilt on my HQ/V then it really doesn't matter to me. Believe me, some of my backs had WAY more than 2 or 3 seams. :?: :lol:
    I am interestd to know this also. It is new to me. I guess I just do things my own way.
    Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 PM

I usually put one full width of fabric down the center & fill in each side to the desired width.
    Old 06-24-2011, 06:02 AM

The not having a seam down the middle is something that I've always been told no matter how it's being quilted. I think its more for looks than anything; if you only have two panels the seam isn't as noticable if it's off to one side instead of down the middle. As far as the # of seams that probably would be more if you are sending it out; you'd probably get charged more for it. I've seen where people piece the whole back. Georgia Bonsteel recently did a segment on this and said the same thing. I do believe what others here have said; when it comes right down to it; it's your quilt and you can do what you want. Im like you; I can't afford to send it out. A friend of mine does long arm and loaned me a great book by Maurine Noble and I'm learning alot from it. It covers thread, tension, etc. It has lessons for you to do to practice. Nothing on the backing though and I can't find my other book on it yet.
    Old 06-24-2011, 07:44 AM

I was purchasing 45"fabric. Then I noticed fabric backs and they work just perfectly. When I used 45" I would center it