Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Measuring before and after - - - >
  • Measuring before and after - - -

• Measuring before and after - - -

Old 06-10-2015, 08:16 AM

I usually measure the top, in order to know how many binding strips I need. However, after it's bound, washed, and dried, I really don't care about the size. There's nothing I can do about it, so I figure it is what it is. I should add that I wash/dry all of the fabrics, beforehand. The batting will be the only thing that shrinks (Warm & Natural) and that's minimal.
    Old 06-10-2015, 08:38 AM
    Power Poster

i measure the quilted sandwich to plan for the binding. after that, i don't measure
    Old 06-10-2015, 08:51 AM

I usually don't however just the quilting shrinks the quilt some
    Old 06-10-2015, 09:21 AM

You bet I do. I've made two quilts for our bed. First was too small, second was too big.
    I hope the third will be the charm. Maybe the bed keeps changing size just to get me
    confused. LOL
    Old 06-10-2015, 09:22 AM

I never measure mine. But I haven't had the occasion to need to be that precise yet. If i was making a quilt for a bed, I probably would.

I usually wash my charity quilts before turning them in. When I do wash them, I wash them on cold or warm water with no detergent and use an unscented dryer sheet. There is no need for detergent because the detergent starts the process of breaking down the fibers much faster. For example, bath towels need no detergent added to the load. They already have soap on them from your body. Just wash them in hot water and you are good to go. The lifespan of your bath towels is much shorter if you use detergent on them because it wears down the fibers much faster.

After an incident last year, I learned that I am allergic to almost every laundry detergent so I make my own. The ladies in my charity group wash all their fabrics and quilts in this perfumed laundry detergent like Tide, All, Cheer etc. and follow it up with heavily perfumed dryer sheets like bounce or snuggle. It is like smoking, you don't notice how much fragrance is in it until you stop using it. LOL. Sometimes it smells up the entire room. If I were a parent of a terminally ill child and they received a quilt that additionally breaks them out in hives due to fragrance, formaldehyde, or other chemicals from the detergent and dryer sheets I would be really mad. Their immune system is so low already, stuff like that can set them off. So I think that is worse than not washing at all. Fortunately, the head of my group mentioned that she washes the quilts before she distributes them out. Especially, if they have any scent at all. So in the situation of the above quilter who mentioned she doesn't wash her charity quilts, it may not matter.
    Old 06-10-2015, 09:57 AM

I guess I'm the OCD one in the bunch, I always measure completed top, after quilting, and again after washing. I've had up to 4" loss each way depending on how much quilting. I keep statistics on a spreadsheet of all my quilts including pics, what type of batting, fabric lines, pattern design, etc. It helps to make sure my bed quilts fit the bed they're designed for after shrinkage.
    Old 06-10-2015, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    Charity quilt or not, I would not gift an unwashed quilt. IMHO. Just me. Who wants to be the recipient of a soiled/dusty quilt.

I do not wash completed quilts either mine or as gifts/"charity"...... And they are not dusty nor soiled.......they are covered as being worked on, covered while on longarm between sessions....I wash my hands before touching...no hand cream....but that's how I do things
    Old 06-10-2015, 10:49 AM

I keep a journal of all my quilts, so I take measurements after it's washed. I know what the measurements should be while I'm making it (if I'm following a pattern), so measuring it after works best for me.
    Old 06-10-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    Charity quilt or not, I would not gift an unwashed quilt. IMHO. Just me. Who wants to be the recipient of a soiled/dusty quilt.
    I've given quilts both unwashed and washed. I'd never give a reciepient a soiled/dusty quilt. Children usually get washed quilts, adults unwashed quilts. The adults usually prefer to see the quilting before it's washed. Kids don't care. I've never had any complaints with unwashed quilts.
    Old 06-10-2015, 11:20 AM

Once I know I have succeeded in making a top squared, I congratulate myself, sandwich it and quilt, then wash and gift wrap nicely.

It might be interesting to know if it stays square but then we may be getting into how I quilted it, or which pieces shrink more than others... to use those cutesy Moda metaphors, when it comes out of the drier I call it BAKED ! Time to eat!