Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • measuring fabric >
  • measuring fabric

• measuring fabric

Old 07-20-2010, 04:52 PM

[quote=DoxieMom]Pati,
    That's very good information to know. I learned to sew before permanent press and non-wrinkle finishes for yard goods. Since I've started quilting, I've been wondering if I should be trying to straighten the grain like I used to when sewing clothes years ago. I'm gathering from what you wrote that after the fabric is washed and pressed I should just consider the grain/s to be parallel to and at 90 degrees to the selvedges.

Not necessarily. But what I am saying is that whatever the angle of the grain is, that is what it will return to. If you are lucky it is at a 90° angle to the selvedge, but it may not be.
    But our ancestors didn't really worry about grain line in small pieces. And if you look closely at some of the beautiful antique quilts that are considered treasures, a lot of the pieces are not cut on grain. Our foremothers used what they had, every bit of it. <G>

I also learned to sew in the days of finding the straight of grain and making sure that grains were perpendicular. But things do change. (I also learned directional sewing, and a lot of different things that are now considered to be inaccurate..... they worked for the fabrics and tools of the time. <G>)

Pati, in Phx
    Old 07-20-2010, 04:57 PM

Pati,
    Thanks very much for the additional information!

[quote=Pati- in Phx]
    Originally Posted by DoxieMom
    Pati,
    That's very good information to know. I learned to sew before permanent press and non-wrinkle finishes for yard goods. Since I've started quilting, I've been wondering if I should be trying to straighten the grain like I used to when sewing clothes years ago. I'm gathering from what you wrote that after the fabric is washed and pressed I should just consider the grain/s to be parallel to and at 90 degrees to the selvedges.

Not necessarily. But what I am saying is that whatever the angle of the grain is, that is what it will return to. If you are lucky it is at a 90° angle to the selvedge, but it may not be.
    But our ancestors didn't really worry about grain line in small pieces. And if you look closely at some of the beautiful antique quilts that are considered treasures, a lot of the pieces are not cut on grain. Our foremothers used what they had, every bit of it. <G>

I also learned to sew in the days of finding the straight of grain and making sure that grains were perpendicular. But things do change. (I also learned directional sewing, and a lot of different things that are now considered to be inaccurate..... they worked for the fabrics and tools of the time. <G>)

Pati, in Phx
    Old 07-20-2010, 05:01 PM

Oh my goodness! What a blast from the past! I had totally forgotten about them! I remember them, but can't remember where. I think cloth world had one, but I remember going somewhere with my mom that used one too.
    Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 PM

I remember them from JCPenney's, House of Fabrics, Fabricland, etc. They were fun to use but I remember that sometimes they weren't completely accurate.
    Old 07-20-2010, 06:53 PM
    Power Poster

Yes they have one at the Joann's close to me but I only see them use it on very large bolts and on upholstery fabric.
    Old 07-20-2010, 07:22 PM

Gee, I remember these, where did they go and why?
    Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Great meomories--that is what I remember too--the clock that measured fabric!!! I hate getting home and finding that I am short an in. because the fab was cut crocked!!
    Old 07-21-2010, 12:16 AM

My curtain shop has had one for years. It does measure the length of fabric through it making the process easy and faster. Ask if you can have a close look at it the next time you are in the shop and watch how it works, that way you can be sure of it's accuracy for yourself. I would still make sure that it was the right amount, the shop should give you an extra inch or so JUST INCASE IT IS OUT A BIT.
    Old 07-21-2010, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by eparys
    About a month ago I purchased batting at JoAnns and that is what they used! I too was amazed. It really is a great idea reborn.
    That's where I saw it too. I was looking at her unrolling the batting and thinking....What is she doing?...So I asked. Pretty cool I think.
    Old 07-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Funny! I was telling my daughter about these "measuring tools" just the other day.