Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Mechanical vs. Computerized Machine >
  • Mechanical vs. Computerized Machine

• Mechanical vs. Computerized Machine

Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 PM

Would you please tell me which you prefer and why. What is it that the computerized machines do that the mechanical ones can't, other than more decorative stitches and alphabet, etc.? I have both, and to tell you the truth, I think I enjoy my mechanical machine more. Does that make me nuts? :|
    Old 06-18-2011, 05:07 PM

No, that doesn't make you nuts. It just means you know what you like. :)
    Old 06-18-2011, 05:13 PM

I do a lot of applique & don't think I could do without the needle down option along with the #17 stitch on my rose that looks like hand applique.
    Old 06-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Thanks, QuiltsRfun. There's something about the earnest simplicity of my mechanical that stirs my heart. I don't think I like that there's so much I haven't yet explored, let alone mastered, on my fancy machine. It's not so much intimidation....more like the mechanical is my soul sister, and the computerized is a mysterious aquaintance.
    Old 06-18-2011, 05:18 PM

Donnajean, I agree the needle down is GREAT! I do have the heel tap that drops the needle on my mechanical, but it has to be done each time I stop. I don't do applique, but maybe I should try it soon.
    Old 06-18-2011, 05:19 PM
    Power Poster

So-sew, I can relate!! In this day and age with all the technology I sometimes feel overloaded with info. I'm not complaining, as I have 3 Ipods, a Kindle, etc etc- love technology, but sometimes get overwhelmed. I am using my vintage machines more and more. They are so comforting! I don't have to think- I can just sew :D
    Old 06-18-2011, 05:27 PM

I have both , but love the mechanical for just plain stitching. For other stuff that I need the special feet I use the computerized.
    But got to say I love the knee control on the mechanical . Maybe if my computerized had a knee control I would love it more.
    Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 PM

Mechanical hands down! If it breaks YOU can fix it. If the computerized machine quits your looking at a hefty repair bill. I'll take mechanical any day!!!
    Old 06-18-2011, 05:38 PM

About the only thing I've used my Janome for lately is buttonholes. I LOVE the buttonhole feature on the computerized machines. Other than that, I use the vintage babies...I use a mechanical serger to make clothing, and quilts are all done on a treadle or vintage machine. I do have a Pfaff 1200 I use for meander quilting...that's about it!
    Old 06-18-2011, 06:06 PM

I have both types and love both! The thing with computerized machines is that they make sewing easier and more enjoyable and you're not limited by ANYTHING. The sky is the limit for your imagination. The down part is that they're not made nearly as well as older, mechanical machines and are much more costly to buy and repair. Old machines are true workhorses and need no babying. They are dependable and sturdy. The negative is the lack of bells and whistles and they are not able to do the fancy work new, computerized machines are able to do.

Really, it's like comparing a 50's T-Bird with a new luxury Mercedes Benz. Both are wondeful machines but have their pluses and minuses. It all depends on what you want.