Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • memory label question >
  • memory label question

• memory label question

Old 10-06-2018, 11:06 AM

Default memory label question

I always try to put labels on my quilts. And when I made memory quilts from my nephews clothes I put a label with a little poem and his name on it.

In August my sister lost her battle with cancer and her and daughter and I went through her clothes for memory quilts.

I have a poem that I will be putting a few lines of on a labels for her grandbabies, but I wonder do you all put the name on the label? The poem is about grandma's love so it will be clear its grandma, but I just wonder what other people do

Any ideas?
    Old 10-06-2018, 06:15 PM

Great question, I have 6 hankies to quilt of my mother’s for her great grand daughters and really need to label them also. What do you use for the labels.
    Old 10-07-2018, 11:22 AM

I have a local lady who does embroidery for me. I give her a block of fabric and she embroiders what ever I ask then I sew that bock to the back of the quilt
    Old 10-07-2018, 02:14 PM

I've been thinking about your question. I haven't actually made a memory quilt as you are describing but I have made labels for my quilts, not all of them, though. In this case even though they will know it is their grandma, I would still add her name, just as a remembrance of her. I recently spent the week-end with one of my grand-daughters who lives in a different state from me. She is was so pleased to show me the quilt I had made her, on her bed. And then she turned over the label and so proudly read it to me. It was so sweet and has really encouraged me to continue making labels. That label included the name of the pattern, her full name and mine. Plus other info. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong adding your sister's name. At some point they may just enjoy reading her name. And also wanted to add, it is such a great thing for you to make the memory quilts!
    Old 10-07-2018, 05:07 PM

I think as the final line of the label, I would put ."In Memory of your Grandmother, 'Mary Smith', '1935-2018' " or something similar. I would do this because it could help someone doing an ancestry search at a later date. What a lovely thing you are doing in your sister's memory. Hugs.
    Old 10-08-2018, 12:04 AM
    Power Poster

I sometimes do add the name and their birth/ death dates. I added that information to the ones made for the great grandkids who are so young they probably won’t remember who it was. It’s a personal choice. I know I would want the information on one for me of a loved one
    Old 10-08-2018, 07:36 AM

thank you everyone!