Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Memory quilt - freaking out >
  • Memory quilt - freaking out

• Memory quilt - freaking out

Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 AM

Wow, the friends on this site are great!!! I've also done memory quilts and I agree with all. The memories that will be stimulated for this lucky boy=for you are giving him a great gift, a physical article that will comfort him for years to come. I have a knitted shawl my grandmother made for me-Her ONLY knitted item. I use it when I am overwhelmed with life. It' like I get a hug, that I need. I miss her.
    Old 02-21-2011, 06:12 PM

I know just how you feel. I have made several rag quilts for friends who have lost family members. It's hard to make the first cuts.

I started when my dad passed and I made grandpa quilts for the four grandsons, using Dad's jeans and flannel shirts. Those were all same size squares. To have enough fabric for the 4 quilts I ended up including pockets and all. Dad did some workworking so many of the squares included splatters of paint and stain. He always had his hands in his pockets so the jean pockets were frayed. It was a teary-eyed moment at Christmas when they got them, but the boys take them with them everywhere.

Since then I've made blankets for friends using sweatshirts, T-shirts and one friend brough her husband's Harley-Davidson boxer shorts. The nice thing about rag quilts is you can use just about anything.
    Old 02-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Do you have a quilting buddy that could come over an afternoon or two and help? Two people can get a lot done together, one pressing while another sews, and you will have someone to bounce construction ideas off of. That might give you the jump start you need to really get going on it.
    Old 02-22-2011, 05:25 AM

I can relate to what you are going through with the thought of 'messing up' but you won't! It will be a beautiful memory when you are finished. It is awesome that you are doing this for someone...make sure you take a pic of your accomplished quilt & you will have a memory as well!

I also made a few memory quilts with clothes for family members; but didn't take pics. It's a hard thing to start with the first couple shirts, but it will come for you!

Bless you for doing this for the family
    Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 AM

I lost my daughter at age 37 to breast cancer. This was 9 years ago. I finally got the courage to make a memory quilt from her clothes for her son who was graduating from highschool. He absolutely cherishes it. Also have enough clothing to make one for her daughter when she graduates. I guess its a matter of thinking of what you are doing for them not your own feelings. Hard to do.

Connies quilt
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]155660[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-155655.jpe  
    Old 03-09-2011, 10:22 AM

This is a beautiful tribute to your daughter. I think you did a good job of using her clothing. I'm working on one now for a friend who lost her husband to cancer and I'm having a hard time coming up with a pattern to use with his shirts she sent me. You have given me an idea. Thanks!
    Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 AM

Hi, I took a 12" square of muslin and then crazy quilted the pieces of shirt, etc. to each square. The navy squares are not her clothing, but a good contrast. The 1" denim strip of fabric came from her blue jeans. Have fun. Pat Tagsold [email protected]
    Old 04-06-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ptagsold
    Hi, I took a 12" square of muslin and then crazy quilted the pieces of shirt, etc. to each square. The navy squares are not her clothing, but a good contrast. The 1" denim strip of fabric came from her blue jeans. Have fun. Pat Tagsold
    Pat, Just a gentle reminder. It is not a good idea to put your real email addres on the topic postings. You can send them via PM (private message) to any member but not a good idea to have them out where just anyone can find them. If you are still able to edit this message you might want to remove that part. :-) Just trying to keep you safe.