Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Memory Quilt Question >
  • Memory Quilt Question

• Memory Quilt Question

Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 AM

Hi everyone :-) I am new to the board and somewhat new to quilting. I have done very simple quilts in the past but I am trying to learn more.
    I have a question about memory quilts made with pictures. Several years ago I made one for my brother. It was in a house fire this past December. I had saved all my pictures on the computer for this quilt and was going to make him a new one. When I made the first one I used the iron on photos. I was introduced this time around to photo fabric. Not sure how to go about using it. Any suggestions? Would like to keep it simple if possible.
    Old 04-15-2010, 08:30 AM

Sorry to hear about the fire, I have no idea on how to use the new stuff.
    Old 04-15-2010, 08:33 AM

If I could figure out a pattern, it might help! I'm thinking about using my original sized quilt blocks and just doing an applique stitch around the photos. Not sure I like how the pictures print out on the fabric yet.
    Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 AM

I use the photo fabric for memory quilts. If you have an Epson printer, you will retain more color after rinsing. I used to have an HP, but to much faded out. I put the paper backed fabric sheet thru the printer, let it dry, remove paper and iron to heat set. Then I rinse it until no more ink runs out. Then let it dry, and iron it flat. Then cut into size needed, depending on size of pics, and sew as usual. I advise the receiver of quilt to have it dry cleaned or careful hand washing of quilt to retain color. I did a few test pics on one sheet and printed 4 small pics on it. I cut them apart, washed 3 on delicate, faded very little. I washed 2 on regular with dark clothes, had a little more fading happen. Those that get them say they want them for display, so washing isn't a neccesary thing. Just take it and shake it out once in a while.
    Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 AM

Old 04-15-2010, 09:46 AM
    Power Poster

I just used the Electric Quilt printable fabric ran it thru my Epson printer. let sit for 15 minutes, soak for 10 in warm water, dry and you are done. i have done it this way for 3 quilts and have had no problems. On the printer make sure your settings are for photo quality
    Old 04-15-2010, 09:53 AM

A log cabin pattern would look good with your photos in the middle.
    Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 AM

I just used photo fabric to make some labels. The directions on the package were pretty good. You could also look for some tutorials on utube.
    Old 04-15-2010, 01:44 PM

I've used fabric printing lots of times for quilt labels. There are various makers out there so you really need to follow the instructions on the pack. They can differ a bit from brand to brand. One tip - it is useful to stick a strip of masking tape on the top end of the fabric paper before printing - this prevents a paper jam.
    Old 04-15-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by swimmermom
    If I could figure out a pattern, it might help! I'm thinking about using my original sized quilt blocks and just doing an applique stitch around the photos. Not sure I like how the pictures print out on the fabric yet.
    Here is a scrapbook one I did. He was a Michigan fan, and that was the reason fotr the color choice. I like framing the pics. The Micigan piece in center belonged to the young man who is featured in this quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-61690.jpe