Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Memory Quilt,Quilts now for friends DDs Need help!!! >
  • Memory Quilt,Quilts now for friends DDs Need help!!!

• Memory Quilt,Quilts now for friends DDs Need help!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:42 AM

Actually, they can afford to send me what I need and have told me to let them know what I did need and it would be sent. so money and getting things are not the problem. I just need to get them done, being I was sent clothing that is usually not used to put in a quilt without a foundation or a stableizer I just wanted to know how to use the denium and Tees. I am now doing a Block to see if what was suggested to me could work and I do believe it will. Just fast easy blocks, found one I am going to use. Going to use the tees and knits on the inside of the block and the cottons and cotton blends on the outside of the block. The demium is going to be the binding,raw edge so it can fray... I am going to glue the stretching ones, tees etc on the dryer sheet before I attach them to it, they do work and you don't have to tear them off. They stay in quilt with batting and backing. So cross you fingers, I do believe it will work...Going to make a practise block in a few min. Thanks Everyone for the input, knew I could get some good stuff from all of you out there.
    BillsBonBon
    Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 AM
    Power Poster

You probably have had these done for a long time.

One can use t-shirt knit for binding. Treat it a lot like fabric cut on the bias. I used it once as an experiment and it worked out okay.
    Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    You probably have had these done for a long time.

One can use t-shirt knit for binding. Treat it a lot like fabric cut on the bias. I used it once as an experiment and it worked out okay.
    Thank you Bear,Actuall I don't have it done... had to put it aside for abt 2 1/2 months due to DH sick and other problems and just couldn't do any quilting or sewing. The lady I am doing these for knows and understands. I still have 68 more blocks to do. I am doing all blocks before I make quilt tops,there are going to be 4 of them. Got the hardest ones done. Just got my world in order yesterday so in a few min. going to fix the rest of the blocks. Going to do one of them like you said if I have enough left. Thanks BillsBonBon
    Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 AM

"I wash them in a special bag with bleach and detergent then dry them in dryer still in bag and Iron them out."
    Billsbon bon made this comment at the start of this discussion..I have never used dryer sheets (I don't have a dryer) but why do they have to be washed first.Just for interest.....
    Old 10-12-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by karen65ae
    "I wash them in a special bag with bleach and detergent then dry them in dryer still in bag and Iron them out."
    Billsbon bon made this comment at the start of this discussion..I have never used dryer sheets (I don't have a dryer) but why do they have to be washed first.Just for interest.....
    Sometimes, the softener residue is still left in sheets. If you wash them and bleach them it gets all of it out.. Some say chemicals in sheets break down material fibers.. I don't know but I have always bleached,washed them. No one that has one that I used dryer sheets on has ever complained. Also if there is any residue left and you have more than one fragrance this will take it all out. Hot iron will also pick it up when you iron them if all softener is not out. Done that one befor so I know. BillsBonBon