Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Memory Quilt,Quilts now for friends DDs Need help!!! >
  • Memory Quilt,Quilts now for friends DDs Need help!!!

• Memory Quilt,Quilts now for friends DDs Need help!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:52 AM

I posted a few weeks ago that I was asked to make a small quilt for the DD of a lady Who had passed away,who I wasn't super close to but considered a good friend. Such a wonderful lady. Her DD saw my pic. on FaceBook of my quilts. Wanted to know if I knew anyone who could make a quilt from Her moms Clothes. Since I really thought alot of this lady I said yes. then she ask if I could do one for her Sis. I said yes, then emailed and ask if I could do one for her Bro and Her stepdad, SIGH!!! I said yes I would do small ones. I told her what kind of material the clothes should be.Mostly cotton or blends. OK here is the problem...... I got this hugh box 2 days ago via ups... Some cotton and blends. but mostly knit shirts and Tees. Denium pants,jackets,shorts. I was going to do a nine patch. Don't see how I could. So got her on chat FB and told her I could do a crumb quilt. the differences in the thickness shouldn't be to bad. NOOOOW with the Tees in the picture, COULN'T I USE A FOUNDATION LIKE THE DRYER SHEETS on the whole quilt? I am not spending any money on this, so I don't want to go buy something, like fusible or muslim. So out there would a foundation of dryer sheets with pieces of each shirt,tee pants Work? There is even some sweats in the collection.. I have made the crazy quilt before, no embellishments, but it was cotton and cotton blends. Since she wants 4 they are going to be small say crib size or smaller, they will not be used it is just for them because they miss Her so much, would it be possible to use the denium pants legs as a binding would that be to bulky? DUUUUH!!! Help me please!!! :shock: I know there is a difference of oppinion abt. dryer sheet use. But I have used them on 2 quilts and one is 5 yrs. old no problem. I wash them in a special bag with bleach and detergent then dry them in dryer still in bag and Iron them out. Got a lot of them saved. So please give me some opinions I am starting tomorrow. Love this board just haven't been able to be a part of it for a good while just have been so busy haven't had time. working in garden, taking care of mom. moveing my youngest Back in with me!!! No comment!! :roll: :lol:
    BillsBonBon
    Old 06-26-2010, 10:58 AM

WOW!! that small gift has reallt turned into something quite big!! I have no idea how you would incorporate all those different things. I have never used dryer sheets either . well I guess all I have to pass on is a pat on the back and good luck. sorry I can't offer more
    Old 06-26-2010, 10:58 AM

Tell her to cough up the costs of materials. You are doing plenty! She can pay for fusing for the knits and do a crumb quilt.
    Old 06-26-2010, 11:00 AM
    Power Poster

make a simple rag quilt out of the denim fabrics. t-shirts are more of a problem. they will need some stablization.
    Old 06-26-2010, 11:29 AM
    Power Poster

Maybe attach the tshirts to the dryer sheets and do some quilting around them to keep them from stretching before putting them in the quilt?
    I would maybe use the denim as sashing or single thickness as binding and let it fray in the wash :D:D:D
    You are so sweet to take all of this on (((HUGS)))
    Old 06-26-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by amma
    Maybe attach the tshirts to the dryer sheets and do some quilting around them to keep them from stretching before putting them in the quilt?
    I would maybe use the denim as sashing or single thickness as binding and let it fray in the wash :D:D:D
    You are so sweet to take all of this on (((HUGS)))
    OMG I do love this idea with the denium as a single binding and the fray!!! Thank you, That is what I am going to do for the binding and the quilting for the tees after it is on the dryer sheets gonna try that too. you will see when I post pictures. Thank you!!!
    BillsBonBon
    Old 06-26-2010, 12:24 PM
    Power Poster

I also would ask for the money to buy muslin, thread, etc... It wouldn't cost that much and they will have a nice quilt to love. I am on a very fixed income and if I donate all of that time and love to make something, they can help with cost.
    Old 06-26-2010, 12:36 PM

Phew!! That's a big job. I've never used dryer sheets--I wish you luck. Maybe they should pay for any extra material, etc. that you buy. Why not?
    Old 06-26-2010, 05:27 PM

That is the problem with being nice and doing a favor. If you need to buy things to make it work, tell her you need the cash to do so. They are getting something they want and will treasure , so they need to help out.
    Old 06-27-2010, 06:12 AM

I've never thought of using dryer sheets. I've always thrown them away or dusted with them! :lol: :lol: Will have to keep this in mind. :thumbup: