Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Men Quilting >
  • Men Quilting

• Men Quilting

Old 08-29-2007, 12:01 PM

Well shut my mouth, I did not know. There really are quite a few then. I guess like in all gender dominated fields headway is being made then. I just find it interesting how quilting is one field dealing with fabric that has taken its time for men to latch on and work at. Yay, quilting!
    Old 08-29-2007, 12:07 PM

I for one am glad there are men into quilting....besides the color combinations and unique sewing tricks...or gagets and gizmos...it is one more thing that brings us all together. Both are fascinating expressions of that thing called human. Nice to know too that they can freely express the artist inside in what has traditionally been a "female" craft. It isn't as easy as we make it look. :D Like any craft, skill and design define it.

P.S. Love the job he did on that quilt...what a beauty! Hope to see more of his work he is definitely talented. You tell me...is it as comfy as it looks?
    Old 08-29-2007, 12:41 PM

That's what I am talking about. Testosterone driven color selection.

Come to my quilting color class. An injection of that good old testosterone, buy my male modified color wheel (of course red comes next to blue, silly). While I am teaching, I'll play the radio and try and talk Steve into strumming his Lute. I do play a half assed couple of blues riffs on the piano and my harmonica rendition of Red River Valley has brought tears to many a woman's eyes. (Then they give me money to go away).

Spent the last couple of evenings up in my studio (with it's 110 degree residual heat) working on my daughters quilt. During breaks in the action (how is that for a male driven term?) I have looked at a couple of the projects sitting around. The original YBR you have seen WIP shots of is very dark. Hmmm.. I wonder where i am going to put it once it's finished? The Homeward Bound quilt out of last October's McCalls is evolving into a wonderfully eclectic kaliloscope of color and pattern. I think even Patrice will like it when finished. And the eye dazzler bear claw one is so SW motiffed, it will hang on it's own where ever it winds up. Now contrast that with the stark whites and intense blues of my Irish chain quilt (soon to be known as Wild Irish Rose when I realized there actually is no chain design in it) and a whole differnt color sense has come out. So which is 'IT'? Which is that male sense of color, balance, and energy?

And I DO like being one of the few males on the board. You all are so sweet to me.

tim in san jose

Old 08-29-2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
    Does your daughter quilt or is she too young? It would be a great father-daughter thing wouldn't it?
    She is 12. Try getting her nose out of a book long enough to do anything. I could have worse problems.

My youngest daughter (9) on the other hand, has made a doll quilt with me. She often makes doll clothes at her mothers house.

Maybe if I don't get this quilt done by this weekend, I'll tell her to finish it herself. *L*

tim in san jose
    Old 08-29-2007, 05:15 PM

jody jo, your grandson is very talented.it's a very beautiful and amazing quilt.and your one very lucky grandma.
    Old 08-29-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    That's what I am talking about. Testosterone driven color selection. So which is 'IT'? Which is that male sense of color, balance, and energy?

And I DO like being one of the few males on the board. You all are so sweet to me.

tim in san jose
    All of them, Tim, all of them. After all, you picked them out.
    Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 AM

And then you have guys like Buck... (it's a video, so DSL will help):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UICg8bBfjA4

Old 01-23-2008, 12:18 PM

Steve:
    One of our perks, of you being few is we get to be B%$#@#$ and you have to take it because, you are one of the few, remember. NO complaining.
    Old 01-23-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Steve
    And then you have guys like Buck... (it's a video, so DSL will help):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UICg8bBfjA4

That's too funny. I thought I saw one that said Chain sawing quilt pieces.. but I was wrong. Chain Sewing... Dang, the Stihl needs a workout..

tim in san jose
    Old 01-23-2008, 07:08 PM

I got started so that my grandmother could pass the tradition on to someone before she dies. No one else in the family wanted to try it and I have always admired the quilts that she and my grandfather made. So she taught me. I enjoy doing it because it relaxes me after a stressful day and I get to be creative. I am rather good at sewing, and cooking, baking. But I also can mow the lawn and rake and fix lawnmowers. I have also worked with children since I was 14...so I am pretty good at changing diapers, fixing boo boos and calming a crying child.