Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Men's Ties Dresden Quilt >
  • Men's Ties Dresden Quilt

• Men's Ties Dresden Quilt

Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 PM

When my father died I took his ties. Opened them (it took forever), washed and ironed them (carefully), and backed the widest parts with light-weight stabelizer. I chose six pictures of his [adult] life, transferred them to material, and made individual blocks of uniform size. With the pictures more-or-less in the center, I took a deep breath and started to cut the ties, making six crazy-quilt blocks, embroidered seams and used cording to "frame" the pictures of my Dad. Then I framed each block, arranging them 3 and 3. My own memorial tribute to a very special man.
    Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by crrdownshift
    When my father died I took his ties. Opened them (it took forever), washed and ironed them (carefully), and backed the widest parts with light-weight stabelizer. I chose six pictures of his [adult] life, transferred them to material, and made individual blocks of uniform size. With the pictures more-or-less in the center, I took a deep breath and started to cut the ties, making six crazy-quilt blocks, embroidered seams and used cording to "frame" the pictures of my Dad. Then I framed each block, arranging them 3 and 3. My own memorial tribute to a very special man.
    Wonderful idea and special memories. The dresden plate is fantastic. When my FIL passed, I wanted to make one for my SIL, but when we got them out of the closet (and they had been there a long, long, long.......long time) :roll:, they were the ugliest things you've ever seen or care to see. They can keep their memories, but that quilt is not on my list of stuff to do - EVER :shock:
    Old 03-15-2011, 04:34 PM

Your quilt is so beautiful. I nearly flipped when I saw it. I have quite a few ties and want to make a tie quilt, but need a pattern. Did you use one?
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 PM

Beautiful! I was looking for projects with men's ties as I bought my first thrift store Italian silk red paisley today. Would you mind sharing the name of the pattern with us?
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 PM

Beautiful! I was looking for projects with men's ties as I bought my first thrift store Italian silk red paisley today. Would you mind sharing the name of the pattern with us?
    Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by FQ Stash Queen
    Originally Posted by crrdownshift
    Wonderful idea and special memories. The dresden plate is fantastic. When my FIL passed, I wanted to make one for my SIL, but when we got them out of the closet (and they had been there a long, long, long.......long time) :roll:, they were the ugliest things you've ever seen or care to see. They can keep their memories, but that quilt is not on my list of stuff to do - EVER :shock:
    Sorry the ties you had were so bad. Just can't use fabric that doesn't please us one way or the other. Perhaps fabric with special prints or colors would do as well for you and your SIL. My quilting partner made her "memory quilt" for all the new grandchildren, using pastel fabrics of all colors in a Crazy Quilt design cut around birth announcements and baby's first picture.
    Good luck. Connie
    Old 07-26-2011, 07:50 PM

Beautiful quilt:
    Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM

That is beautiful, where did you get all the ties and do you have a patterns for it and where can we get it.......Thanks :)

That is beautiful, where did you get all the ties and do you have a patterns for it and where can we get it.......Thanks :)