Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • messy messy messy corners >
  • messy messy messy corners

• messy messy messy corners

Old 02-13-2014, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by stillclock
    i am having a hard time making the quilting patterns move through the corners in a pleasing way. it's carelessness more than anything - a lack of planning and forethought. i've started the last two in the centres of the borders and quilted into the corners, finding myself in poor condition to draft turns and patterns that aren't disruptive.

i just need to slow down and think it through before i start stitching. it's not the construction i am having trouble with - it's the quilting design.

aileen
    You are right. You really need to plan the corners at the same time as the centres. I go so far as to draw them onto the quilt top first so that I get them right. I think it's that great mass of corner that throws me - it always seems so much wider at the corners with way too much negative space. One way round it is to plan the corner first by taking a motif from the centre of the quilt and place it at the corner then measure into the centres of the border with whatever design you are planning to use. It will add continuity and break the corner up for you. Stop your border design as you approach the corner or work a way to "swing into it". Hope this is helpful.
    Old 02-13-2014, 04:27 AM

Are u doing the quilting on a DSM or LA? Somewhere a long time ago I saw someone who had a good way of doing corners of a border if using a definitive design. I tried it a few times but did not like it...but maybe it might help u. Draw the design on paper the width of that border.....really a bit more....then fold that n half, unfold and w/scissors cut on that fold line , short of cutting completely.....then in increments cut stripes on either way until you can wrap around that corner...slide a blank paper under and draw connecting lines creating a corner design......it does work....wish I could remember who, where I read/saw this idea.
    Old 02-13-2014, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Draw the design on paper the width of that border.....really a bit more....then fold that n half, unfold and w/scissors cut on that fold line , short of cutting completely.....then in increments cut stripes on either way until you can wrap around that corner...slide a blank paper under and draw connecting lines creating a corner design......it does work....wish I could remember who, where I read/saw this idea.
    I can't seem to wrap my mind around what is going on here. But I printed it out and will ponder it for a few days. Maybe someone can find the original tutorial on this.
    Old 02-13-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I glue my border corners and binding corners before sewing. They are right before I put in the first stitch.
    Now this is a clever solution that I am going to adopt!