Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are methods allowed to be shared? >
  • Are methods allowed to be shared?

• Are methods allowed to be shared?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Here is a free tabletopper pattern that is exactly like the French Braid. I have the book. The tabletopper has been online long before the book was ever published. That's why it's still free online. I don't understand how the pattern in the book can be copyrighted.

http://quiltbug.com/free/table-topper.htm
    I agree with you BellaBoo, i have made this pattern for gifts. Its all so confusing. Or when they write teaching books, we can buy them but don't make the quilt???
    Old 01-07-2012, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by squires1042
    My major point is this method has been done before, for many years in fact in bow tie patterns so does it belong to the author of the ten minute block.

I agree with many of the points of view in these postings and I disagree with some. My belief is that if you put it out on utube you have lost the right to claim it as yours since it is posted for anyone and everyone whether they buy your patttern or book or not.

I have made this quilt from the book that I bought however I am one of those who is a hands on learner and I believe that it is not wrong to ask for help if you don't understand the directions in the book. Is this a violation of the rules. I don't believe so.

The concepts of quilting have been passed down through time itself and many variations of ways to do different techniques exist because of that. We cannot patent/copyright everything. If we did we would not be able to function at all since everything we do each day is a learned behaviour how do you justify me darning a sock with a method that was done before by someone who taught my mother. Is that protected and can you patent that method.

Sorry this is so long but one thing I have seen in travelling is that there are several patterns out there for the same thing. A quilter on the east coast has an original idea of their own for a design and creates a pattern. Then someone on the west coast has an idea along the same lines and creates their own pattern for sale. Neither of them saw the others work. Who owns the copyright or patent on it. Lots of food for thought and I don't think anyone will ever find a clear answer to all of this.
    I was taught to do a Log Cabin by hand, so like you said a lot of these have been around since the begininng of time, so do we not make them, i for one will still be making them for a long time.
    Old 01-07-2012, 06:14 PM

Oh Froggy, that is tooooo funny. You have a great sense of humor it seems. It would be good to see more of this fun stuff here. I've tried it a few times with no response. Don't know if it wasn't as funny as I thought or they didn't get it.
    Old 01-07-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew
    If knowledge had a copyright or patent we would have to have a seance to resurrect all of the great mathematicians and philosophers and get permission to use all of the basic concepts of our civilization.
    Every child who ever wrote a book report would be in prison for sharing ideas learned in a book.
    Everyone who ever 'carried the one' to the tens' column would be paying royalties.
    Every child who learned test tube division would be paying fees to the estate of Maria Montessori.
    Teaching would likely be prohibited as the royalties and releases would be prohibitively expensive.
    Religious folk would have to ask the Lord's permission to put words from his book on their signature lines on this board.

Cite the reference, quote the book.

Now let's all laugh and get back to the sewing machine!
    You are right on, Sue! There is nothing new under the sun and there is especially no really new technique in sewing. I have made and tried to correct, more or less successfully, every error that can be made sewing and some of the corrections have resulted in better projects than would have been made without the error. Maybe I should write a book about the methods used to make corrections, thereby requiring everyone who makes similar errors and corrects thelm to pay me a royalty. WOW! I feel rich already. froggyintexas
    Old 01-07-2012, 06:58 PM
    Power Poster

quilt shops are required to have each student purchase their own pattern/book to teach out of one- that has to do with copyright rules- but to teach a technique---without someone's book or pattern is permissable-
    you can teach someone to make logcabin blocks-or pineapples (as example) but you can not use someone's pattern/book to teach the technique without the (student) having their own copy of the written material (clear as mud?)
    so -- you can teach techniques- if you can do it without using someone elses (instructions)
    Old 01-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Techniques cannot be copyrighted, only the written word. If you think about it, for example, there are tons of books written on paper piecing, stratas, machine quilting, etc. Etc.
    Old 01-07-2012, 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=ckcowl;4853112]quilt shops are required to have each student purchase their own pattern/book to teach out of one- that has to do with copyright rules- ..................................]

What law are you citing?
    Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by ghquilter53
    Students must purchase the book or pattern being used in a class..
    There are so many patterns in the public domain, that a class could very easily be done without a book or buying a pattern.
    Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dandish
    This, exactly. OP, my reply is not directed at you, so please don't be offended.

I have come across several of these threads and discussions, and I've finally figured out WHY they "get my goat" so much.

All this "dont share!" and "that's MY idea" seems to be to be the antithesis of quilting. For many, many years quilters have been sharing - patterns, blocks, material, ideas, methods, etc - why someone would feel the need to be SO stringent with "their" idea is beyond me. Now, don't get me wrong, I do not begrudge anyone making a living from their original ideas, but really? How many truly original ideas are there in the quilting world. Also, as long as one is using something for their own personal use and NOT making money/profit from it (in no way would I defend making copies of someone's claimed pattern and selling them) why should there be a problem? I've spent, I'm sure, thousands of dollars in books, patterns, etc, over the years, and if those authors really think I shouldn't share a thing or a bit of information, I'd gladly send their stuff back to them and not buy anything of theirs ever again. Look at those who share freely - take Leah Day for example - I'd much rather look to them because to me that embodies the spirit of quilting I like best - share the fun, knowledge, excitement of it all. I'm sure she's making money from the things she does sell and she is very generous with her ideas and knowledge.

I see a lot of quilts with "names" on them that are NOT original patterns and have wondered exactly WHY is being called an original pattern? Fabric selection? Because somebody stuck their name on it? I don't think that's right, either.

Maybe I'm a moralless scofflaw, but I'd share my pattern or my book with anybody who is interested. If I know how to do something and somebody wants to learn, I'm there. Want to take me to court? Go for it.

Again, that's just ME. YMMV.
    Dandish.................................I whole heartily agree with you. If a friend comes over or calls & needs advice on a pattern or whatever I will help them out because that is what friends are for! If she can't figure out what she needs then we pull from here & there to create what she needs. I see sooooooooooooooooooooooo many (just an example) purse patterns that with 1 sml chg it is a NEW pattern that someone is selling. This should not be the 'bicker of age' but the 'time to share' with everyone, god knows that there are enough of people out there making money on that 1 chg. I will never turn anyone down to help out even if it taking pieces from 6 patterns to make 1 pattern! I'm not out to offend anyone this is just me
    Old 01-08-2012, 05:38 PM

I can tell yoiu this, if you google it there are people that have already posted this..."how to"... I have found some ..

I would share it...