Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are methods allowed to be shared? >
  • Are methods allowed to be shared?

• Are methods allowed to be shared?

Old 01-06-2012, 01:45 PM

I've taught a lot of classes, and I think the Golden Rule test is best. If YOU wrote the book, would YOU want someone 'paraphasing' your technique to teach her class - and more importantly, get paid for it?
    Old 01-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by jhoward
    Was Eleanor Burns the first to do chain piecing? Did other copy this METHOD? Or is that a METHOD? How about strip piecing?? Just wondering??
    In my opinion, Eleanor Burns did not start chain piecing not strip piecing! Chain piecing has been around for EVER! While noodles, jelly rolls etc are more recent, there are strip piecing techniques that have been around for a LONG TIME!
    Old 01-06-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
    Given that it is a new method, I think it would be wrong of an LQS to offer a class in the method without requiring students to purchase the book. Once a method becomes very commonplace, it's less of an issue, but you wouldn't even know about the method except for having read that book.

I agree with the poster that says she won't be forced to buy a book for a class if she gets it from the library - however, it would be impractical to teach a class and expect the library to provide copies of the book for all participants. Photocopies would be unacceptable as it is not personal use.
    To what "new method" are you referring?
    Old 01-06-2012, 03:51 PM

Thanks everyone for this very interesting thread!! Especially those of you who made me laugh so hard I had to visit the bathroom (the 'dishwasher' response!).

It made an interesting conversation at my office too when I discussed it with our attorney, she specializes in risk management but a good part of her job is also intellectual property and all that encompasses, and as an added bonus - one of the things that she is charged to protect is "processes" that are patented. Yes, processes can and are patented.

Her take was exactly what most of you have said, the author of the book has copyright to the book - which is the "words" in the book - nothing more. She does not "own" the method that she used.

We then continued to talk about how a person might distribute such gained knowledge. Clearly copying and distributing the book, or parts of the book, is a copyright violation. But what about relaying or demonstrating the technique to someone else.

Her opinion was that the author would have a long and probably difficult battle defending her right to the "process" if such were demonstrated or relayed (in different words of course) in a public forum. We also talked about what makes this "process" so unique that any other 10 people could not figure it out by themselves given time and the desire to do so. In this case I think the possibility is more than possible, it's probable, and in fact may have already been done.

So I am left with the above to ponder, as well as everything that everyone else has posted. I came to the conclusion that it's not so much a sticky legal situation as it is a moral issue.

IF this book had been an older book, I may not have such a moral dilemma - but the book is fairly new (2009) and still in print and widely available. The author and the publisher have an investment in the book and can realize any gain only through continued sales. I would not want my hard work treated cavalierly.

I just read the inside flap of the book (to find the published date) and I have to admit I cringed when I saw the statement that "patterns" from the book (there are no "patterns" - just a technique) could not be used to sell items at craft fairs or on E-Bay. ARGH!!! That part makes me so mad I want to scream ... how DARE YOU sell me a book to teach me something then restrict my usage of that knowledge!!!

I thought about this all day and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't share. But once I got home and read that offending statement ..... I'm again struggling with the moral dilemma of doing the right thing for the author and publisher, or saying PHOOEY to both of them for printing that insulting restriction of usage!!!

Back to the mental struggle

Thanks again everyone. Certainly stuff to think about.
    Old 01-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    An idea, technique or a method can not be copyrighted. What is copyrighted is the writing of it. You can write it in another way to explain it, in your words.

Elenore can only copyright her instructions, not the technique the chain piecing in itself. The same applies to strip piecing, which is a techinque.
    Here is a link that will tell you several methods for making a fractured quilt.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5105668_de...-painting.html

I have found several different quilt artists, who have written books and all tout the same method or technique for making such a quilt, so you are safe to tell about this method that everyone is writing about lol. I can take one of my crazy quilt tops and fracture it all over the place and I can sew a bunch of strips together and sew them every which way and that would be fractured and best of all I can post it all here for all of you to see to your heart's content.....techniques and methods and whatever have been around forever.....no one person owns them, they just use them to do their designs.
    Old 01-06-2012, 05:11 PM

If I were you, I'd be taking the book to work on Monday and seeing what your attorney has to say about the restrictive language on the flap! My guess is that the author has less than a leg to stand on unless her technique is, in fact, patented.
    Old 01-06-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by boxerlady
    That's a good question. I'll be following this thread.
    I will be right behind you following this thread - very confusing subject
    Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 PM
    Power Poster

Anyone can look at a Dear Jane quilt and make the same quilt. The book is just a shortcut to figuring it out.
    Old 01-06-2012, 06:14 PM
    Power Poster

Lets get over the copy right issue and enjoy making and sharing our quilting. Really! are you all going out the to flea markets and selling knock offs?
    Old 01-06-2012, 06:16 PM
    Power Poster

Here is a free tabletopper pattern that is exactly like the French Braid. I have the book. The tabletopper has been online long before the book was ever published. That's why it's still free online. I don't understand how the pattern in the book can be copyrighted.

http://quiltbug.com/free/table-topper.htm