Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are methods allowed to be shared? >
  • Are methods allowed to be shared?

• Are methods allowed to be shared?

Old 01-06-2012, 06:19 PM

If knowledge had a copyright or patent we would have to have a seance to resurrect all of the great mathematicians and philosophers and get permission to use all of the basic concepts of our civilization.
    Every child who ever wrote a book report would be in prison for sharing ideas learned in a book.
    Everyone who ever 'carried the one' to the tens' column would be paying royalties.
    Every child who learned test tube division would be paying fees to the estate of Maria Montessori.
    Teaching would likely be prohibited as the royalties and releases would be prohibitively expensive.
    Religious folk would have to ask the Lord's permission to put words from his book on their signature lines on this board.

Cite the reference, quote the book.

Now let's all laugh and get back to the sewing machine!
    Old 01-06-2012, 06:22 PM

I use a lot of "free" patterns. yesterday a friend asked for a copy of one. I gave it to her. Free being the magic word here. When I post a picture of anything I make from the free patterns, I always acknowlege where it came from. I don't sell anything, just make for family and friends.
    Old 01-06-2012, 06:29 PM

What mystifies me is why you would need to buy a pattern for most of the quilts (or tote bags) I see posted on here or any other forum. All you need for the majority of quilt 'patterns' is a picture of the completed quilt. It can usually be quite easily figured out and redrawn on graph paper or in quilt design software (like EQ). Now some of the ones that are based on shapes other than a combination of squares, triangles and rectangles may be a little more difficult to figure out, but not impossible. As someone else mentioned earlier, I'm not going to waste my $$ on a pattern unless it is something extra special that I wouldn't figure out on my own.
    Old 01-06-2012, 06:30 PM

First, I think of it as the person chose to SHARE the method with others in a book or online. Its out there. How many times have you looked at a quilt and said, oh, I can do THAT! (D9P for one). Second, just about any book can be found at the library for free, so I do not think of sharing information to be a bad thing. Third, I would tell the person if they wanted more info to get the book, online, or loan them the one I have. Now that said, I would not teach a class and make money on that method without permission. that's just a moral issue for me. Forth, If you wait long enough it will be on you tube. LOL
    Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew
    If knowledge had a copyright or patent we would have to have a seance to resurrect all of the great mathematicians and philosophers and get permission to use all of the basic concepts of our civilization.
    Every child who ever wrote a book report would be in prison for sharing ideas learned in a book.
    Everyone who ever 'carried the one' to the tens' column would be paying royalties.
    Every child who learned test tube division would be paying fees to the estate of Maria Montessori.
    Teaching would likely be prohibited as the royalties and releases would be prohibitively expensive.
    Religious folk would have to ask the Lord's permission to put words from his book on their signature lines on this board.

Cite the reference, quote the book.

Now let's all laugh and get back to the sewing machine!
    Finally, the voice of reason! Thank you!
    Old 01-07-2012, 04:32 AM

I would share information I learned in a book, but I would give credit to the author. Personally, I can't remember where I learned everything I know, and wouldn't be able to categorize what I can share and what I can't.
    Old 01-07-2012, 05:37 AM

Personally, if I find a better way to do something, a shortcut or method that works better than what is published and it enhances the outcome - I am going to share it! But, I would also contact the author of the publication to share their lack of direction in the purchased product. I think the author would much rather have satisfied customers than frustrated sharing that with others!!
    Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 AM

AND THEN...there are libraries.
    Old 01-07-2012, 07:19 AM

I am a published author and people do ask me for permission to use a poem for their class. I give them permission and most authors if asked for written permission will do so. I do know some people require that you purchase the book. I think too that if you do a pattern to have a label that gives the designer credit as well as the author of the piece you can not go wrong. I have seen people copying an afghan book patterns, that was wrong and they could well get into serious trouble if caught. Always check the ISBN number because that means it was copyrighted.
    Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 AM

I too have just found in a book that clearly states "Projects are not to be used for commercial purposes.nor are they to me [sic] made into items for sale." Really too bad as they are great ideas and would be great for bazaars and fund raisers. So, after doing one project from this book for my own personal use, I will file this book away and not use it again in all probability, as I was going to use the projects as donated items for a fund raiser. Figure I spent $18 for the project book and the cost of materials. Live, learn, and read the fine print. I would write and ask for licensing fees and process, but there doesn't appear to be a way to contact the author.