Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are methods allowed to be shared? >
  • Are methods allowed to be shared?

• Are methods allowed to be shared?

Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 AM

Thumbs down sharing

You have a good point I agree with you on the copy idea. If you are correct about sharing methods, then their are lot of methods that sould not be posted on this site.
    Old 01-07-2012, 09:04 AM

That is how we learn by sharing. I think copywright says I can't take credit for someone elses work.
    Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 AM

Well I will say this, We used to own a screen printing shop and if say we wanted to print something that was copywrited we had to either get their permission or change the artwork some to make it our own. This came from an attorney.
    Old 01-07-2012, 09:48 AM

As a pattern designer I understand the copyright issue! It really irks me to go to a class at a guild and receive a copied pattern from a book. Ugh! The technique issue is a different ball of wax. If the technique is patented or trade marked you can only share it with the owners premission. If it is not I would show how I did it but not give measurements and such and suggest they get a copy of the book. Either at the libraries(guild or local) or purchased. This is a sticky subject for designers and quilters. Many patterns are in public domain. I write a pattern with them and my written instructions are copyrighted. You see my pattern and go home and make a quilt just like mine w/o using my written instructions using all the public domain blocks. Are you in violation of my copyright? NO! If you buy my pattern and make 1 or more copies of my pattern and give them to your friends have a class etc using the written instructions, then you are in violation of the copyright laws. Simple. Not so much now if I included an original block not in public domain. I own the copyright to that block for writing the instructions. Many designers have trademarked or patented their work and they own it. Even if a hotel uses it as a pattern for a rug w/o the designers permission! The debate can go on foreever. I would ask the author of the book for permission to demo her technique and advise the students to buy the book for the rest! Just My Humble Opinion! Luann
    Old 01-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I can't begin to figure it all out so I err on the side of caution. I think it is all a bit silly really because we are all building on a rich quilting heritage. A lot of the "new" patterns and quilts are actually old patterns renamed (I hate that by the way) or changed slightly. It is kind of sad that everything is about money and ownership.
    Couldn't agree with you more!!
    Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 AM

I think ideas & patterns can be shared if your not making a gazillion to profit from. How do you think our Great Grandmothers & the Pioneers learned to make quilts? By sharing for PERSONAL USE.
    Old 01-07-2012, 11:48 AM

But what about our ancestors who taught us how to do this stuff??? And also if authors write books they are telling us to use their methods.
    I can't wait to see some of the responses on this one.

And another thing would be, I heard on this board a while back, that the copyrights are good for so long and if thats the case, then we should be able to do what we want, right???

Last edited by craftymatt2; 01-07-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    Old 01-07-2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
    Please don't think I believe your question is silly. In our litigious age, it is a good question. However, I want all of you to know that I have written an essay on my blog about the method I use to load my dishwasher and if I catch any of you quoting from that essay, discussing whether it is a good way to load a dishwasher, or writing to your newly married son or daughter any part of my method of loading a dishwasher, I will sue your socks off! froggyintexas

LOL, that is funny, but i have been doing it that way for years, and i am older, so wouldn't this be my method?? Pretty soon someone will put a copyright on going to the bathroom.
    Old 01-07-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew
    If knowledge had a copyright or patent we would have to have a seance to resurrect all of the great mathematicians and philosophers and get permission to use all of the basic concepts of our civilization.
    Every child who ever wrote a book report would be in prison for sharing ideas learned in a book.
    Everyone who ever 'carried the one' to the tens' column would be paying royalties.
    Every child who learned test tube division would be paying fees to the estate of Maria Montessori.
    Teaching would likely be prohibited as the royalties and releases would be prohibitively expensive.
    Religious folk would have to ask the Lord's permission to put words from his book on their signature lines on this board.

Cite the reference, quote the book.

Now let's all laugh and get back to the sewing machine!

WOW, that is soooo true
    Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    I've taught a lot of classes, and I think the Golden Rule test is best. If YOU wrote the book, would YOU want someone 'paraphasing' your technique to teach her class - and more importantly, get paid for it?
    But see, I think this goes back to where did she learn how to do the stuff in the book, someelse probably taught her and she wrote a book. I would think she would be infringing on someone else's work.