Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Mid-Arm machine and quilting frame...HELP! >
  • Mid-Arm machine and quilting frame...HELP!

• Mid-Arm machine and quilting frame...HELP!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by mamatobugboo
    Originally Posted by CissyQuilts
    Hi Stephanie, I have a HandiQuilter II frame and a Juki TL98Q. I love my Juki! The only drawback is the 9 inch arm space. I would love to have a bigger throat space. But it is much nicer than crawling around the floor to pin baste, then stuffing your quilt through your regular machine. I recommend the handihandles if you are thinking of buying a HandiQuilter frame. You can start and stop, control the speed and cut your thread with them. Hope this helps.
    It does, thanks! I like the fact that it sits on a table top...
    Steph, make sure you put your frame on a sturdy wooden table, not one of the plastic tables. They aren't solid enough and cause bad vibrations.
    Old 07-25-2008, 05:03 PM

:D I wanted a machine with more space in the throat...I was going for the Juki but...sinc I live in mexico I was afraid I won't have service for it....I bought a very similar machine the "Brother PQ1500" and it is just such a wonderful machine...I can't live without it...It has the knee lifting and outomatic threader and cuts the buttom and up threads automatically too (if I choose to)...and it came with a lot of different foots and accesories......and of course..the extension table.....Its not too heavy but very study.....I LOVE IT.....
    Consider this machine ....
    Now I am going for home made frame....hope to have one by the end of the year......
    Good luck to all of us... :lol:
    Old 07-27-2008, 03:46 PM

Please keep us posted on what you get and how you like it. Now y'all are makin me want one! Especially when I read the part about no more crawling around on the floor to pin. I swear I'll never make another king-size and I haven't even gotten it to the machine yet. Don't know how I am going to accomplish that. Which one does every one like better, Baileys or Juki?
    Old 07-29-2008, 02:10 AM

I was pretty much sold on the HQ16 for about $8,000 (which is like making a car payment) until I saw at the quilt show in Hershey a "Homesteader", with a 19 inch throat, tried it and liked it. AND its only $3600, less than half the price. Spent about an hour in that booth with questions. I would love to talk to someone that has one..........
    Old 07-30-2008, 03:29 AM

Who makes the Homesteader? I have never heard of it. Does it come with a frame for that price? Why do you like it better and do you have a link to a web page?
    Old 07-30-2008, 07:37 AM

I have a quilting service and I run a Gammill to do the quilting. In my shop I have a Bernina which we use for What ever! In my sewing studio in my home I have a Juki TL 98, which I use for piecing, binding, etc, and I love it! I can cut thread, with footcontrol, raise and lower needle with one button push, raise presser foot with knee, and automatic needle threader. This machine is a workhorse and does the jobs that I purchased it to do. But remember now, that this machine does not zigzag, no pretty stitches, no bells no whistle, BUT Boy can it sew!
    Old 07-30-2008, 07:43 AM

thanks for all your input! I'm pulling together numbers and different options...one shop around here said that he would sell me the Janome 6600P for $1999.99 and throw in the 1600 for $100 - but I would still have to buy a frame and my Kenmore works just fine for the piecing...so I really don't need the 6600P, but it sure is an inviting offer! I'll keep y'all posted!
    Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 PM

Susan......
    yes it comes with a ten foot frame and you can get the 12 foot frame for a little extra, I tried the machine 3 different times, I just loved it, it was smooth and quiet, but to see it all go to: www.thequiltingsolution.com
    Old 07-30-2008, 03:50 PM

Steph-I bought a MegaQuilter about 4 years ago, I had so much trouble with it, I took it back and got my money back. After we get moved (soon I hope), I plan to get a Bailey with the big frame.
    Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 PM

I made my decision and today i purchased the Janome 1600p-DBX which will come in on Monday and ordered the GMQ Pro frame from The Grace Company with the speed control thrown in the mix! CANNOT wait to get the machine and the frame will arrive sometime in September which will be good because both my kids will be in school fulltime (YIPPEE!!!) so I will have time to set it up and play!