Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Might sound dumb!!! >
  • Might sound dumb!!!

• Might sound dumb!!!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:09 AM

I just bought EQ6 and the little I have played with it, I love it. I'm working on a black and white quilt and was able to see it on the computer and decide what to do with sashings, broders and how to place the blocks.
    Old 02-27-2010, 04:25 AM

I bought EQ5 at a quilt show years ago. I am not too computer literate so dont use it . I found it hard to understand. A friend helped me design one quilt top and I loved it. Would there be a tutorial for EQ5 some where?
    Old 02-27-2010, 07:19 AM

I love the Quilt Wizard also.
    It is priced reasonable and you can do alot with it.
    I would recomend it as a beginner to EQ6.
    You also get the benefit of downloading a new pattern every month and all the previous ones for the last few years.
    Joanns carries it. I got mine for 29 dollars a couple of years ago. You cannot design your own blocks with it but it comes loaded with enough to keep you busy for a while with all you can do with them.
    Old 02-27-2010, 10:25 AM

Didn't know you could download new patterns. I'll check that out. Thanks.
    Old 02-27-2010, 01:37 PM

I have EQ6. It's a wonderful program when you see a square you like, but no pattern, you can make your own or alter an existing block for a new design. The program with do the proper calculations for the size square you want and you get a proper sized template. I got mine at Joanne's - special sale and free shipping. Though I have had mine for about 2 years, I still have not made a dent in all the things it can do!
    Old 02-27-2010, 01:49 PM

Promise not to laugh, but I still have EQ4!!! Don't use it much, tho. I know that EQ6 runs about $150.00.
    Old 02-27-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    Hi Cheryl, I'm still using the EQ5 and think it was well worth my money. I don't use it to it''t sull capacity but that's not the programs fault. Here's another posting from a member whose sister designed her quilt in 9 minutes.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-38013-1.htm
    If you are able to try out the program at a quilt show, that could help to convince you. Also if you go on the www.electricquilt.com site & search around you can read the forums & see exactly what others use the program for. (not sure why the electricquilt site doesn't show up as a link, but just copy & paste it)
    I have EQ 5 too. Love it to help me see what a block does by itself, sashed, or with another block. It also gives me an idea as to what size to make, and also a ballpark figure of the amount of fabrics in each color to get. I use if very often.
    Old 02-27-2010, 04:47 PM

I started out with EQ5 which I was able to catch at just the right time. They were offering for a special price if I remember it came to about $75. Then later upgraded to EQ6 (note the upgrade required EQ5 to be on the computer). But you can get the standard EQ6 & not have to have EQ5. Of course have 5 they emailed me offering EQ6 at a discount too. I couldn't pass it up. Just recently I was having trouble designing a particular style quilt & email them about it & they looked into what I was trying to do & told me how to achive it. Worked great & I learned something else. I would sign up for their newsletter & then you would get the lates info about sales etc.
    Old 02-27-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel
    apparently you guys are more computer literate than I am. I have EQ6, have had it for a couple of years, still pull out the pencil, paper and crayons when I design a quilt. :(
    Same here, I sure didn't find it very user friendly. I took a class and still dumb about getting it to work.
    Old 02-28-2010, 12:09 PM

I have 123 Quilt Pro on a MX Vista laptop. It is very inexpensive and will let you design quilts from pre-programmed blocks. You can fill in with colors and borders and sashings to see what the overall effect will be. You can print out the yardage required for each fabric. You can print out a picture of the quilt. Often Quilt Pro will offer you a free download of a fabric collection or some additional blocks. You cannot draw your own blocks with this 123 Version, but I think you can with Quilt Pro. It is very easy to use and cheaper that EQ6. Just another option for you to consider.