Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The Mind Vs. Insomnia >
  • The Mind Vs. Insomnia

• The Mind Vs. Insomnia

Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
    I'm a retired RN and I worked night shift for most of my 30 years of nursing. A few years ago I asked my Dr if there was anything that I could take to help me sleep at night. I was unable to turn off my brain, regargless of how tired my body was. He prescribed Ambien and I have taken it ever since. I tell my doctor every time that I see him for a refill that this pill literally changed my life. My husband completely agrees. I plan on taking Ambien till the day I die and thank God for it every morning.

I also take Ambien everynight and will as long as a dr. will give me a script. I have tried sleeping without it and will literally stay awake all night. I know exactly how you feel!!
    Old 04-29-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
    AMBIEN WARNING: I took Ambien CR for 2+ years before having a terrible reaction - sleepwalking which led to a fall down our stairs - face down - on April 17.

I was very lucky that I did not break anything. Initially, my forehead and nose were swollen - nose was blue, and I thought it was broken, but it wasn't. I am still black and blue nearly 2 weeks later. The next day, the swelling was gone, but I had black eyes and cheeks, and abrasions on scalp, and one elbow. They are nearly gone. I did hurt my back - but I've had disk problems for years, so that's not unexpected. I also jammed my cervical disks - and I'm lucky I didn't break my neck and die on the spot.

Sleep walking is not an uncommon side effect of Ambien. In my case, I woke up in my bed the next morning thinking I had a bad dream - until I looked in the mirror and realized it wasn't a dream. The only thing I remember is being at the bottom of the stairs.

Of course, I'm no longer taking Ambien, and I'm getting decent sleep only 1 night of 3. My oncologist (the doc who originally prescribed Ambien - with the warning that I probably wouldn't be able to take it 'forever') told me that all prescription sleep meds have the same side effect. My GP said the same thing. I'm going to try using melatonin tonight. I've had insomnia for 20 years - and the cancer 2 1/2 years ago just made it worse.
    I am so glad you are OK and hope you heal quickly! WOW! Like I mentioned above my DSIL said melatonin worked for her.
    Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 AM

I never required more than 3-4 hrs and worked 12-18 hr days but since my husband passed 3yrs ago now I was feeling lucky if I got that in a week I've had several scripts they all just made me wired and jittery I even changed my diet -no stimulants-tried warm milk-way yukky-Now I pick up a book go to bed and within 2-3 chapters I'm asleep Now all I need to do is teach one of my dogs to shut off the light but I'm now back to my usual 3-4 hrs and decided to be happy with this
    Old 04-29-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    I think menopause has made this a real problem for me. I can't take anything with benadryl because it gives me hallucinations (the ..."PMs" usually include that.) I keep ambien and sonata for those times where I just can't take it anymore. I can fall asleep fine, but then pop awake during the night, nothing hurts, not worried about anything, etc. Not fun at all.
    I'm with you, Benadryl totally wires me, Ambien works great but is really expensive. Recently the doc gave me zaleplon 10 mg and it helps most of the time.
    Old 04-29-2011, 10:05 AM

]

I'm with you, Benadryl totally wires me, Ambien works great but is really expensive. Recently the doc gave me zaleplon 10 mg and it helps most of the time.[/quote]

They now have a generic Ambien product. Not the controlled release formula but the just plain Ambien one,
    much cheaper! Thank goodness. I don't know what it is with the "racing" thoughts. Just can't get them under control, I really hate when a song starts running through my brain and I can't remember "all" the words to it, just some, so then my brain just keeps running it by me! Very annoying!
    Old 04-29-2011, 12:18 PM

I can relate I'm tired when I go to bed and sleep 15 min then wide awake thinking about what to do 1st then I'm groggy later that day. I hate to waste time sleeping but it's how the body heals a lot of things in your body. I only slept about two hrs last night if that because I wanted to watch the Prince William and Her Royal Highness marry. I remember when PW's Mom and Dad got wed. So tonight s/b sleep night. Maybe Sleepytime tea or hot cocoa will help before BT. Good Luck everyone. Sue
    Old 04-29-2011, 01:01 PM

I was up most of the night last night too. Watching the royal wedding, which was fascinating to me. I was recording it so I could have waited, but nope. I do stuff like that a lot. My mom said I was not a sleeper when I was a kid either. I am just too afraid I will miss something.

I have tried sleeping pills and then I am groggy all day long. I am terrified of Ambien, heard too many horror stories. A friend of my daughters woke up in the Walmart foyer with two carts of toys and stuff, even a laptop, that she had already purchased. She was still in her pj's. Can you imagine? She had to drive there, even on the freeway. She did it twice actually. How scary is that?

The only thing I have found works for me is to get in the recliner and stick my hands tight at my sides. Works most of the time. I think forcing myself to be still helps. But mostly I just can not shut my brain off. I make lists and plan stuff and just generally work in my head which is not good if you want to sleep.
    Old 04-29-2011, 02:30 PM

I had a baby, worked for me exhausted all the time sleep great
    Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM

I worked the night shift for 27 years, and I'm sure that changed my sleeping habits.I stopped fighting it years ago...when I can't sleep, I get up and quilt or clean or catch up on e-mail...I find that after a few long nights, my body automatically adjusts and I sleep well for a night(maybe 2 )...but all in all, I"ve just accepted it.It is much better than lying in bed tossing and turning. I get a lot done in the middle of the night, too, no interruptions.I am afraid of the pills out there and their side effects, so I just go with it when I'm wide awake.
    Sometimes I wonder if we all aren't being put into the same mold, when in fact, we are all different...I have just accepted my fate and work with it, not aginst it.
    Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM

I think, at 50 or so sleep becomes a problem because of the change.
    I am 62 and don't need any kind of medication.
    But I do take 5mg of Ambien every night and sleep at least a good 5 hours before I wake. Plus I wake up clear headed.
    I was taking 10mg and some sleep walking was a problem. The doctor called me and explained it was just to much.
    I would be up all night long if I don't take anything. So I do.
    DJC