Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Mini sewing machines ? >
  • Mini sewing machines ?

• Mini sewing machines ?

Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by slk350
    Thanks everyone for the info, now I still don't know what to do...my grandson is just so little. Maybe I'll just get that featherweight that I really want. My biggest concern is the speed of machine
    Maybe you could start him out sewing on those lace up cards or if he's has the dexterity a simple embroidery stitch. he would still be sewing like you but it would be a safe alternative until he's older and can safely use a machine.
    Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 PM

I bought a Janome Sew Mini from Overstock.com to gauge my sons' interest/ability in sewing. I thought it would be nice to have a super portable machine, too. Mine never made a decent stitch and was so loud that I felt it was unsafe for my kids' hearing. I returned it, but shipping ate most of the refund. I had heard good thongs about the Sew Mini, so the one I got could have been a lemon. Sears sometimes has the Kenmore Mini Ultra, which is bigger than the Sew Mini, for $50. Better value, IMO.
    Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 PM
    Power Poster

My young children sew on a Janome Jem. It is a 3/4 machine and it is not a toy. Neither is the price. The mother of my young daughter's friend also got this machine for her daughter 12 and I also taught her to quilt on it. You can also put your grandson on your lap and set the speed to low and help him sew. My now 14 yr old learned to sew that way at barely 3 yrs old.
    Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 PM

Thanks again for all the input. I probably should go with a real machine, just not super big.
    Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
    I would buy a real machine--not one of the mini's. If cost is a factor, look for a good used one on craigslist, thrift stores, rummage sales or your local newspaper. I have a cheapo little White machine that I bought to take on vacation when we fly and didn't want to worry about the airlines destroying it. I wish they would have destroyed it! It's the noisiest, roughest running sewing machine I've ever seen and you cannot sew a straight line with it to save your soul. It's so light that it's not even useful as a doorstop. $40 completely wasted! I should have bought a pre-loved older mechanical machine.
    I agree.They just don't make em like they use to.I know they are extremely heavy,but are still here today.
    Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    My young children sew on a Janome Jem. It is a 3/4 machine and it is not a toy. Neither is the price. The mother of my young daughter's friend also got this machine for her daughter 12 and I also taught her to quilt on it. You can also put your grandson on your lap and set the speed to low and help him sew. My now 14 yr old learned to sew that way at barely 3 yrs old.
    If it's not too late, I also suggest the little Janome. Not cheap, but sews beautifully and you can easily tote it to classes or guild meetings. I've had my Jem for about 8 years and just love it.

My boys & my daughter sew; my granddaughter made her first quilt when she was only 8 years old. Teach 'em young and teach them on a good machine. They learn quickly and easily.
    Old 07-22-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by gale
    The Janome Sew Mini does not do a chain stitch. It has a needle on top and drop in bobbin so it's like any other sewing machine, only tiny.
    I got one of these for my 8 year old grandaughter, and she uses it all the time. I tried it, and was very happy with it overall. Like above, it does have drop in bobbin and sews just like a full size machine.
    Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 PM
    Power Poster

Actually the bigger more expensive machines have the speed control and are easier to run. Maybe look at a janome Jem Gold or Silver. My children sew on those. It is a 3/4 machine and we have the quilter's edition. I think they are able to start at 5-6 years old. With some help ofcourse. I think I would be worried with the Feather weight. It has a lot of strenght and I would hate to see that needle go through a little ones finger. Also it is very easy to burn yourself on the FW light. My now 14 year old started at 3 on my lap on my Janome that has speed control. Now she uses the janome Jem and makes beautiful quilts.