Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Minkee blanket >
  • Minkee blanket

• Minkee blanket

Old 07-12-2012, 08:23 PM

Default Minkee blanket

I have not yet sewn on Minkee. I know they are messy just by refolding them. Do you serger them? How do you quilt them. Do you make binding from Minkee and how wide? Thanks for any information.
    Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 PM

I've made small lovies from Minkee fabric. When making the 'lovies' I use 2 pieces of the fabric put it 'wrong sides together' and then I put small tabs of grograin and satin ribbon, in different colors around the perimeter. Then I sew it together leaving a turning area. After I turn it I sew it closed. I guess I could use a serger, but I avoid getting it out! A small zig zag does much the same thing (other than cutting it at the same time). If you are comfortable using a serger, I say go for it. If you don't like the results change. I do remember that sometimes with a knit the serger tends to lettuce the edges. If that is what you are going for good, if not well. Test out a small amount on the serger and see what you think.
    I think Minkee is like corderoy. It can be messy, but I don't think it runs, and I think it is pretty stable as a fabric.
    Old 07-12-2012, 10:53 PM

Try shaking your minkee out outside...it's really just the cut edges that fuzz all over the place. I have made one full minkee quilt using large strips for the front with a 1/2 inch seam allowance and just brought the backing to the front for binding...it worked really well both times I've done that.
    Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 AM

I've been sewing baby quilts/ comforters with Minkee backing. I piece the top, thin layer of polyester backing then the Minkee use a walking foot with 1/2" seam. Leave an opening for turning to right side. Flip inside out then slip stitch opening closed. I find it's better to have a narrow border around the piecing to help stabilize when sewing. Use perle cotton or embroidery thread (whichever I have at hand, matches or want to use up!) to tie and it's done Talk about fuzz: my friends are well-accustomed to seeing me with threads all over, but I was a sight to see after sewing one of these with black exercise pants on!
    Old 07-13-2012, 04:34 AM

On youtube there's a video on how to make the corners on a minkee quilt. Very good video; just go to Youtube and search it. It would have really helped me the first time I made one!