Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Mistakes in Patterns or Kits >
  • Mistakes in Patterns or Kits

• Mistakes in Patterns or Kits

Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM

I am glad I am not the only one to have this happen. I will definitely say something to the shop and I will not wait until next months block. I just sat down to work on the 3rd block of the kit and the first squares were just perfect 4.25 x 4.25. But after that....all of them were off! Some 1/8 some 1/4! I am so bummed! Well I guess I will just turn my attention to some other WIP. Thanks for letting me vent.
    Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 PM

The pieces were cut carelessly and I would tell someone in LQS. They should give you new fabric. I'd check every new block before I started sewing. Good luck because it sounds like a good learnig project.
    Old 08-24-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by cherylynne
    The pieces were cut carelessly and I would tell someone in LQS. They should give you new fabric. I'd check every new block before I started sewing. Good luck because it sounds like a good learnig project.
    Yes it will be a good learning process....but right now it is certainly a lesson in frustration :roll:
    Old 08-24-2010, 05:11 PM

I found an error in a chart once, and emailed the designer. The pattern instructed me to enlarge a pattern for applique 200%. That obviously made it WAY too big to fit on the background material. I emailed and asked for the correct percentage. The designer replied to do whatever I wanted - it was my choice. Keep in mind that this piece was a flower stem that needed to be the right size to match up with the petals and leaves. Anyway, I was really annoyed at her lack of response. She clearly didn't know that there was an error, and didn't care to give me a solution. Since I had paid good money for what was a defective pattern, and the designer refused to provide correct information, I was pretty upset. I politely but firmly wrote the lady back to let her know what I thought of her business practice, and she wrote me back some nonsense that didn't help any. I figured, live and learn. I played with the sizes until I found something I thought would look all right, but I will never buy another pattern from that designer.
    Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 PM

Call the shop and explain what happened. I am doing a BOM with Stitchin' Heaven, I actually messed up some fabric and called to get more. They sent it free of charge, no problem. If the shop does not give you good service there is a lot out there that will. I believe thst I deserve good customer service and if I don't get it, I don't deal with them anymore. A good shop knows how important it is.
    Old 08-24-2010, 06:27 PM

I'm in a BOM at an LQS where they cut chunks of fabric for the block. Each month (if you have the last month's block done) you pay $2 and get fabric and pattern for the that month. Once I said that they didn't give us enough of one of the colors. The woman that owned the shop said they did. She called in the woman that figured out what we needed and she refigured it on her fabric calculator and said that yes, we had enough. However she was adding both pieces of that color together and saying we had enough. We finally convinced them that it couldn't be done that way because there wasn't enough extra for the seam allowance to piece the two pieces together. (They try not to give more than just enough to make it so you have to trim about an 1/8" off on two sides.
    Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 PM

I have a pretty good relationship with this shop, so I am thinking that there shouldn't be a problem, but it really is frustrating!

Mattee - Imagine putting a design out there for purchase, having a mistake come to light and helping out the consumer. I can understand her saying that you could size it to your desire, but she obviously lost sight of the fact all the pieces of the pattern she designed needed to match. sorry that happened.
    Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM

I told them at Fons and Porter that one of their patterns did not state the right amount of fabric nor the right pieces to cut and they sent me a ten dollar gift certificate happy that I let them know
    Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 PM

I bought a Winter Chateau (or something like that name) kit at a local quilt show (from a non-local vendor) and discovered that some dimensions were off. Of course, I discovered this after I had cut and was trying to assemble. Since then, I've seen the instructions for the quilt on the web with "corrected" in the advert. But, it's too late for my pieces. So, I've set them aside and someday I'll find some other pattern or some idea will come to mind where I'll be able to use the fabrics from this kit. I'm not really happy about it, but that's my decision. So far, this is the only kit that I've had problems with so overall I've been pleased with both patterns and kits.
    Old 08-25-2010, 03:56 AM

Some time ago, I was constructing a king size quilt and ran into a problem. Contacted the company which printed the book. Turns out, they knew there was an error, but did not tell the consumer about it. Also said there was a disclaimer in front of book. Turns out, there was not disclaimer for errors in book. They sent new book and a check to cover cost of fabric. Wasn't all that happy, however, wasn't a total loss either. Moral of story SPEAK UP. If the problem is not known, can't be corrected.