Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Moda Charms shrinking! >
  • Moda Charms shrinking!

• Moda Charms shrinking!

Old 09-03-2009, 05:40 AM
    Power Poster

If I had to wash the batting before use I wouldn't be buying that batting anymore. Laundry is laundry no matter what is being washed. I dislike doing laundry.
    Old 09-03-2009, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    If I had to wash the batting before use I wouldn't be buying that batting anymore. Laundry is laundry no matter what is being washed. I dislike doing laundry.
    AMEN - tell it like it is :!: :!:
    Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 AM

I have never chosen to pre-wash any fabric or batting - all my quilts have turned out ok after washing them when they are finished. I do like the 'old' look though.
    Old 09-03-2009, 05:55 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Fabrics can and do shrink differently... even ones by the same maker, from the same collection. I would have *thought* that those at least would all behave the same, but I've learned differently.

As to eBay... I've looked at those listings, where people are selling charms or squares, all pre-washed... and I've wondered, how on EARTH do they have the time to do all that work, and sell the squares for so little? They're probably not even making minimum wage for all their efforts. Gee.
    Old 09-03-2009, 06:07 AM

:shock: HEAD IS SPINNING!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: There are more opinions here than Carter's got liver pills ............... :lol: OK - so that's an old saying and I'm showing my age.

OP -- sorry your charm packs shrank! How disappointing when you're wanting to make a quilt with 5" squares!!!!! Good luck!
    Old 09-03-2009, 06:14 AM
    Power Poster

for cut fabric, i always wash it and No i don't wash batting. the whole quilt gets washed when done. unless it's a wall hanging. but then i'd even wash that if i'd used fusible batting or spray fusible on it.
    Old 09-08-2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Fabrics can and do shrink differently...
    i wash all fabric because:

1. see above
    2. they're loaded with chemicals and dust that i don't care to keep handling

after tossing one king-sized warm &natural in the dryer, i'm never washing it in the washer. i wash when i'm done and i live with the puckers. if it's a hanging, i don't wash when i'm through, but i have still washed the fabrics due to #2 above.

after i wash the fabric, i hand-press, fold it accordian style, but don't iron until i am about to use it.
    Old 09-08-2009, 06:01 PM

"I don't prewash fabrics or batting because I like the gentle crinkling effect I get when I wash the finished quilt."

That is my favorite thing, getting the quilt done and washing it! Love how it looks and haven't had any problems with shrinkage. Used some real high loft batting once, used a pressing cloth and flattened it down. Put in the quilt and it quilted fine. When I washed it, it fluffed back up and really turned out pretty. Guess we just do what works best for ea of us....viva la difference! :D
    Old 09-08-2009, 08:02 PM
    Power Poster

I'm a prewasher--carry over from my clothes sewing days. I hate it when fabrics run, too! Now my BF, she never prewashes her quilting fabrics.
    Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 AM

Yes, I had the same experience with my Moda Charm Squares. It was very disapointing since after washing I didn't have enough fabric left to make my 2 1/2 inch squares.

After talking to other quilters, I was told that even if Moda is supposed to be so great that it will shrink just like the cheap stuff.

I prewash just about everything---no surprises that way.
    (I also had Kona Red run and run and run even though it was washed several times with a color catcher. I plan to wash it with restayne (spelling?) that apparently sets the dye colors.)