Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • MODA Fabric >
  • MODA Fabric

• MODA Fabric

Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 AM

Question MODA Fabric

OK I admit, I have never dealt w/moda fabric before. This past Sat I attended several yard sales and at 1 was a ton of fabric! Another lady was there sorting thru the fabric and said she found several pieces of moda. My question is this....is there a way, other than in the selvages, to determine if a piece of fabric is moda just by looking at it or feeling the quality of it? I got a lot of quality pieces just by feeling it but am baffled on how that lady picked out so much moda. Thx all!
    Old 10-07-2013, 05:57 AM

Did she really know she was getting Moda? The selvage edge is the only sure way, but some "Moda" girls (and I'm one of them) know the fabric lines, possibly because we already have some, and know it by looks. I do feel that Moda is one of the top quality fabrics in my stash but if push came to shove I bet I couldn't pick it out 100% of the time as compared to other quality lines.
    Old 10-07-2013, 06:11 AM

She probably was a Moda girl, and there was a lot of quality fabric there. Thx, I was curious.
    Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 AM
    Power Poster

Moda changed thread counts for awhile but went back to the original thread count so some of the Moda fabric will feel different compared to other Moda fabrics. Most Moda fans know the fabric lines by sight. Moda is known by the many designer lines of fabric and precuts. Once you compare the best fabric brands (there are many) you can tell by feel and design.
    Old 10-07-2013, 10:31 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Moda changed thread counts for awhile but went back to the original thread count so some of the Moda fabric will feel different compared to other Moda fabrics. Most Moda fans know the fabric lines by sight. Moda is known by the many designer lines of fabric and precuts. Once you compare the best fabric brands (there are many) you can tell by feel and design.
    Back over 10 years ago, I could tell a Hoffman or a Moda from other fabric lines just by the smooth feel of the fabric. but the companies that produced yucky feeling fabrics have since improved on the quality of their fabric. I can still tell by touch Mettler thread vs Coats & Clark thread
    Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 AM
    Power Poster

I never buy moda or very many other fabrics like that. I always judge fabrics by the look and feel of it.
    Old 10-07-2013, 11:25 AM

I'm a moda girl! I could probably tell by the line.....really sad I know that much about the lines.....and can I say, jealous!!!! Good for you! I own lots of moda I find amazing deals online I love the feel of the fabric. I'm limited to mostly online shopping due to the price here, I know if I order moda I'm getting quality