Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Modern Quilt Guild >
  • Modern Quilt Guild

• Modern Quilt Guild

Old 10-21-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by KellyK
    I make a daily stop by two modern quilt guild blogs and several "modern quilt" bloggers as well. That said, I get an instant like or dislike of a quilt more from color palette than piecing design.

For myself, I'd like to join a Fast and Simple Quilt guild.
    :thumbup: I'm with you on that one, if finished were in the name I'd join. :-P
    Old 11-08-2010, 11:46 AM

I am a founder of the Orange County Modern Quilt guild - it's actually my first guild ever and we have a mix of modern girls, crossover type, traditional experimenting & "Slap Dash" which is what we've nicknamed the Fast & Simple ;-) ... I love your name though - "F&SQG" We should start one on the Board ;-)

I make a daily stop by two modern quilt guild blogs and several "modern quilt" bloggers as well. That said, I get an instant like or dislike of a quilt more from color palette than piecing design.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM

i am so inspired by the interesting fabric choices in the modern quilts--really makes you think a little differently about fabric!!!
    Old 03-07-2011, 05:34 AM

I agree :-)
    Originally Posted by raggedyann
    i am so inspired by the interesting fabric choices in the modern quilts--really makes you think a little differently about fabric!!!
    Old 03-07-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
    So at today's meeting of our Quilt Council, I heard for the first time of Modern Quilt Guild. It is a group (growing fast) of quilters who want to quilt but not necessarily make traditional quilts. Had any of you heard of this movement and what do you think? I think it's very exciting to be drawing the interest of so many young women and it makes me wonder how this will change quilting in general.
    I love the modern quilting .... traditional matchie matchie is not for me.

I belong to a modern group about an hour away. Unfortunately they haven't been able to get it off the ground in 2yrs. Most of the members work and since we're pretty rural it's hard and they haven't really gotten off the ground.

My stash (which is GREAT) doesn't lend itself to modern .... bummer ... and I don't feel I can run out and purchase more. So I look at all their eye candy and dream.

Hope you find one.
    Old 03-08-2011, 09:09 PM

it sould be nice to have a modern quilt/fabric section on this board....what do you think?
    Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 PM
    RST

I attend (sporadically) the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild. I'm by no means the oldest person there (mid 40s), though I would say that the majority are in their late 20s or early 30s. It's not so much an age issue as a sensibility/taste in quilting, with a lot more emphasis on improvizational techniques, non-traditional patterns, use of modern fabric lines and designers, a graphic feel to the quilt design.

My experience has been that older/more experienced quilters are generally welcomed, though be prepared for a new generation of quilt police ; ) -- some of the younger quilters who have learned via blogs or new quilt teachers can be just as vehement about their ways as any old school guild member, and ironically enough, over some of the same issues, but on opposite sides of such compelling and divisive topics as --seams, press them open or together? Templates vs. rotary cutting? Organic cottons only? -- just for the hot button issues I heard discussed.

RST
    Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 PM

I am so glad I found this thread. I have been a "modern" quilter at heart ever since I started quilting two years ago. I love the bold patterns and colors of such lines as Amy Butler, Robert Kaufman, Kaffe Fassett. And lucky for me there is a Modern Quilt Guild in my city so I will be at their next meeting. Traditional quilt patterns can be awe inspiring but the block piecings (ie star, maple leaf patterns) have never really appealed to me though I love looking at the mastery of other quilters. I like the artistic nature that "modern" quilting gives rise to such as dyeing fabrics to get the colors you want and using different texture fabrics (ie silks, velvets, fine wale cords)to give a different feel to a quilt.

I am a life long sewer so have been at this sewing thing for over 40 years but just got into quilting and now I am hooked. I started looking online for quilt patterns that inspired me and along the way started quasi designing my own quilt patterns (borrowing elements of several different quilts that I liked). I used this technique when I use to make clothing, I would dream about what I wanted to create and would sometimes use up to four different patterns to create one look. In design school I learned to draft and drape my own patterns so now I am applying these techniques to my quilting. I am working out my kinks on quilts I am making for family and friends.

Soon and very soon, I know I will be looking at some original quilt designs fashioned by me. I feel it as I work on my techniques now to be firm in my quilt footing.
    Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 AM

I love the look and colors of "modern" patchwork but am wondering if using a white background is prerequisite for this type of quilting? Which books do you recommend on Modern Quilting. Thanks in advance for your wonderful advice!
    Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 AM

Me too, me too!