Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Modern Sewing Machines Unattractive >
  • Modern Sewing Machines Unattractive

• Modern Sewing Machines Unattractive

Old 12-19-2015, 07:03 AM
    Power Poster

Sharyn, are those decals? Very creative of you. I love my Bernina 1530. I have her sitting in an old Singer sewing cabinet that is shaped like a desk which was a graduation present from my Dad in 1970. I have my treadle in my bedroom.
    Old 12-19-2015, 07:16 AM

My sewing machines, in my mind, are not furnishings in my house. "They" are in their own space.....room in finished basement along with the other furnishing there-----fabric, cutting table, ironing board, etc, and they fit in perfectly...and that area can be be neat or tornado-like and only I have to deal with it.

I think the beautifully cabineted sewing machine of the past had to be that way....there were no extra bedrooms, family rooms, finished/unfinished basements, add-ones, or whatever...so these had to blend into the room decor.......don't you think the FW sort of changed that idea?? Made the sewing machine something that could be put away when not in use....just thinking..
    Old 12-19-2015, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    This is my Janome 6600
    My 8900 and Singer 404 are similarly attired. I love bling.
    You are so creative.
    Old 12-19-2015, 08:15 PM

My niece decorated the plastic cover that goes over her machine. Looks nice.
    Old 12-20-2015, 05:58 AM

I happen to think that my NEW Husqvarna Epic is a very beautiful machine, as is the Diamond Royale & the Ruby, all in the Husqvarna line. Singer did bring back a "vintage" looking machine when they did the Limited Edition of their 160th Anniversary machine. It was black with gold filigree designs on it & it was very striking. Their newer version, the Singer One Plus 221 machine is also nice & it's white with gold designs on it but they are both a LOT of plastic but good functional machines for the price.
    Old 12-20-2015, 07:23 AM

Yes. my Juki TL 98 Q was a plain jane looking machine but a workhorse, I love it but got tired of the look of it. Went to JoAnne's in their sticker section and found a couple of pages of flower stickers, now my machine has a flower garden growing on it. Love it every time I sit down to sew & I can peel them off and change whenever the mood strikes or I find other stickers I like. And an added bonus, I can revert back to a plain jane it that strikes my fancy.
    Old 12-20-2015, 07:46 AM
    Power Poster

My neighbor has a very worn non working treadle with the coffin top. She keeps it in her living room. It's part of her adornment as she calls it. The coffin top sits on the treadle pad at an angle. She dusts like any other piece of furniture. A beautiful small crazy quilt lies under the needle. Lace and ribbon are part of the quilt. At Christmas she has a small elf helping Mrs. Claus. Cupid helps attach a lacy heart at Valentines. She dresses the machine just enough and it looks gorgeous.
    Old 12-20-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    This is my Janome 6600
    My 8900 and Singer 404 are similarly attired. I love bling.
    Love the bling! Great idea. I never thought to brighten up my workspace in this manner
    Old 12-20-2015, 12:43 PM

I like how all of my machines look though Kalama I love what you did to your machine. Love bling too!
    Old 12-20-2015, 04:18 PM

My Bernina and 301a that I use to sewing are in the sewing room. But I do have my grandmother's treadle in the living room in it's oak cabinet. I has a pretty art glass reverse painted lamp on it with the little clock and green glass shoe that my grandmother always kept on it. Most people think it's a liquor cabinet. lol

Someday I may get another table for the lamp and open it up. The machine is in beautiful shape. My grandmother did all of her quilting by hand and only used the machine for hemming sheets and making pillow cases that she hand embroidered.