Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Modern or Traditional >
  • Modern or Traditional

• Modern or Traditional

Old 09-23-2017, 04:48 AM

I like both. As for making them: while I enjoy making both, I have more fun making quilts that are on the modern or art spectrum end of quilt making. I love the surprise element that comes with improvisational piecing/construction and I'm one of those folks who find doing FMQ to be relaxing, so the more spaces to doodle on a quilt the more fun I have doing the quilting.

Rob
    Old 09-23-2017, 04:49 AM

I like all kinds of quilt patterns, but I am not a fan of "traditional" fabrics, so no matter the pattern, my fabric will be modern. I also don't do overly simple patterns unless I need a gift in a big hurry. Although I might like the look of a simple pattern, I prefer to make things that challenge me in some way.
    Old 09-23-2017, 04:59 AM

I'm a traditional gal but I have made some quilts considered modern because of the simplicity of the design. I love white in my background and so do many modern design quilters. I will not make quilts with more than 20 pieces in one block, I plain don't like all the seams. And though I love scrappy quilts, I don't like them too busy like Bonnie Hunters quilts. I have about 40 vintage quilts in my home I've bought at fairs, Flea markets and thrift stores but no modern quilts. Irish Chains and Log Cabins sing to me😘
    Old 09-23-2017, 05:10 AM

I prefer traditional quilts. I love the geometric shapes, symmetry, and color. I seem to be drawn to floral and small prints, and blender fabrics. I'm not a fan of abstract designs or novelty prints (unless I'm making a quilt for a child.). Most of my quilts have many colors and many pieces. I keep wanting to try more simpler two or three color quilts but I'm a sucker for charm packs, jelly rolls, fat quarter sets.
    Old 09-23-2017, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper
    Curious as to how everyone's taste in quilting runs. Everyone seems to like the quickness of modern quilting patterns such as strip quilts, simple block patterns, and for some of these I'm also included in the group. But the traditional block speak to me, such as Pineapple, Crown of Thorns, Nine Patch, Irish Chain, Log Cabin etc., and for some reason I seem to do better piecing the traditional blocks. Do you have a preference and why?
    I like to see both, but more apt to make traditional.
    Old 09-23-2017, 05:51 AM

My DH definitely prefers traditional but I love most everything and have made all different varieties. I do prefer symmetrical but love whimsical applique, traditional patterns with bright colors, modern quilts with subdued colors etc. I love details so try to personalize every quilt for the recipient.
    Old 09-23-2017, 06:02 AM

I tend towards more modern/art quilts, although I certainly appreciate the traditional quilts that I see done.

Watson
    Old 09-23-2017, 06:33 AM

I love them all, but don't choose to make them all. One artist appreciating other artists' work. I like to change decorator items out seasonally in my home and keep a neutral background palette. I'll try some things as pillows or small wall hangings rather than a whole quilt. Not as great an investment that way. Others, I'll admire, but have not as yet been inspired to make such as a double wedding ring. I've seen some incredibly beautiful ones made with all styles of fabrics-my favorite was made with batiks on a white background. Gorgeous, but not a project I desire to make. I think the most important idea in the quilting world we are privileged to be a part of is "infinite variety". Art only remains art if it represents all aspects of a society.
    Old 09-23-2017, 07:01 AM

I like traditional patterns in modern colors, though two of my most used patterns are ones I'd classify as neither - it depends on the fabrics used - Warm Wishes and Over and Under. I am not a fan of civil war type fabrics and colors. I love batiks.
    Old 09-23-2017, 08:22 AM

I am a traditional girl.