Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Mom's voice in my ear... >
  • Mom's voice in my ear...

• Mom's voice in my ear...

Old 05-09-2011, 01:14 AM

All I can say is I so wish I had a Mum like that, But you can't change what is.I have forgiven but cannot forget, that is how i cope I hope I have been and are a better Mom and Grandmother.
    I do like to hear about the closeness of other families it makes me feel better.
    Old 05-09-2011, 02:54 AM
    tmg

If it is worth doing then it is worth right.
    Old 05-09-2011, 02:56 AM

My grandmother used to tell me that! She was the woman who had the greatest influence in my life. She didn't teach me to sew, but she taught me right from wrong and how to live my life. She was one fine lady and her name suited her very well, Grace.

By the way, I've been reading the board for several months now, but haven't posted anything yet. I appreciate all I am learning from you ladies, as well. You have inspired me to get busy sewing again. I've been on quite a hiatis. I've spent the last two months getting my sewing room organized so I could. Thank you for all the information you provide and quilts I have seen on here are beautiful. I've only made a few myself, but I am ready to go, thanks to your inspiration!
    Old 05-09-2011, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by pattypurple
    Mom always said "Every stitch you take on Sunday you'll have to take out with your nose". Don't know where that came from. I don't obey that rule, but still hear her in my head when I do sew on Sunday.

Pat
    Sorry, I should have hit quote reply with that last post. It was my first post, and I really didn't read carefully enough. My sisters and I were just talking about that famous line last week. Guess she told all of us that.
    Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 AM

And I quote, "Never empty handed to the kitchen go."

That was drilled into me!!! If you see something that belongs in another room, take it there!!!

Edie
    Old 05-09-2011, 03:41 AM

Mom will be 93 soon and is basically bedridden but she still tries to smile. She taught me to sew at a very young age although we did not quilt together. Mom has made lots of quilts and all the grand and greatgrands have quilts from her. Mom lives 300 miles away so I only see her a few times a year but our weekend calls are all important. Will always remember all her sayings.
    Old 05-09-2011, 03:47 AM

My mother didn't quilt, but made all of our clothes. She made suits for my brothers, and all my dresses. I guess the thing I remember most was "Any job worth doing is worth doing well." She also said "It's colder than a well diggers belt buckle". Figure that one out. Also said "He's odder than Jack's hat band". She also said, "If you want it done right, do it yourself." My mother grew up on a farm and was able to do anything, which I guess is where I learned to be so independent.
    Old 05-09-2011, 03:50 AM

I use to throw my clothes on the floor when I was little and even into my teens even if I just wore them a short while and could wear them again she would all ways say "it takes more time to throw them on the floor then to hang them up". Naturally I thought she bent over and her brains fell out,but being the wise one she is I found out she was right and still smile about it today. We came home from church and I had my favorite blouse on and changed and on the floor it went, later that day my girlfriends parents called and asked if I could go out to dinner with them Mom said yes, I ran to get ready and picked up the blouse to put it on and it was all wrinkled, had to iron it,she just smiled watching me get the iron board and iron out.
    It was that day I relized her brains didn't fall out, and yep she was right (Again). Gotta love them Mom's!!!
    Old 05-09-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by pattypurple
    Mom always said "Every stitch you take on Sunday you'll have to take out with your nose". Don't know where that came from. I don't obey that rule, but still hear her in my head when I do sew on Sunday.

Pat
    I got that one also.
    Old 05-09-2011, 04:15 AM

I struggle daily not to pay attention to my mom's voice in my ear, even though she's been gone 31 years. I was her scapegoat... the reason for all that was wrong with her life. No matter how hard I tried, what I did was never good enough. However I was blessed to have my mom's mother (and sister) who gave me the love my mom couldn't. So I say to you all...... Cherish your loving memories whether the love came from your mom, your grandmother or your aunt!