Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Mom's voice in my ear... >
  • Mom's voice in my ear...

• Mom's voice in my ear...

Old 05-09-2011, 04:17 AM

Fortunately I still have my mother with me. She is a joy. she's 88 years old and still goes fishing. She never did sew very much when we were growing up. She didn't have time. She had five kids and a husband who lost his leg when he was in the prime of his life. They were famers and her days were spent tending to chickens and gathering eggs from 2 large poulty houses. Plus gathering, washing and separating eggs. she made her first quilt just a couple of years ago and was so proud of herself. She always encourages me in everything I do and tells me to always do my best at what I do. Here's to all the MOM's everywhere. SALUTE!!!!
    Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 AM

Luckily as the years go by my Mother's voice in my ear is fading. She never said any thing to me that wasn't critical. To her I never made the right choices, especially when my choices were not according to her advice. My mother was a wonderful seamstress, but she did not teach me to sew. I learned from Home Economics in school. As the years went by and I had daughters of my own, I promised myself that I would NOT do the things, say the things that my Mother did. My daughters are my best friends. We have a very close relationship which I am extremely grateful for. My husband always tells me that I learned by horrible example. I have done everything the opposite of my mother. She passed away several years ago. I pray that she is happy now, because she was never happy when she was alive.
    Old 05-09-2011, 04:22 AM

I remember her being my partner in crime in buying yet more fabric. We would see a piece of fabric we loved, but had no immediate project to use it in, so she'd say, "Why don't we get three yards?" We lived near Mary Jo's (the cloth mecca in the Carolinas), and she'd make my father take us out to eat fish on Friday nights, then take us by Mary Jo's to shop. My sister and he would stay in the car, rolling their eyes while my mother and I shopped for fabric for a new dress, draperies or the like. She taught me to sew on an old Kenmore with a knee pedal, and gave me a small child's Singer for Christmas to sew doll clothes. Then, she gave me my grandmother's vintage portable Singer in a wood base and cover that I still have today. Oh, and her special saying was, "Measure twice, cut once." My grandfather, a carpenter, used to say that, and she picked it up to apply to sewing.
    Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 AM

"You can only play the hand you are dealt."
    Old 05-09-2011, 05:04 AM

My mother is missed every day. I can feel her presence every time i am in my sewing room. She loved to sew and was the driving force for my learning to sew. She would always tell me that anything i made, be proud of it, not ashamed of it.
    i remember her singlehandedly making the choir robes for the church we went to.They were beautiful!
    i sometimes think i am too critical of my own work,but, maybe, this is a good thing??
    Old 05-09-2011, 05:32 AM

My Mom past away 2005 at the age of 71. I miss her so much. We did so many things together and we did a lot of quilting and also shopping for fabric. She always said keep your cupboards full and have plenty of fabric on hand. She grew up during the depression.
    Old 05-09-2011, 05:34 AM

Idle hands are the devil's work shop I hear that almost every day , keep busy, love to mom
    Old 05-09-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sewing Joe
    I'm afraid the comments my siblings and I will remember is my Mom's unique and skillful way of stringing together curse words. She could embarrass a sailor on shore leave.
    Are we related?
    Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 AM

My mom died in 1976,I wanted my kids to know a little about her ,so I put some of her saying on a quilt,It is at the LA now so I can't post a picture,but i here my self saying more as time goes on
    Old 05-09-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
    when I would act out, or lose my temper, Mom would say," That's not my Carol". I never wanted to disappoint her, so that usually did the trick. My Mom was probably the kindest and nicest person I knew. She "lived" the meaning of being a Christian. I didnt really know how wonderful she was to others until visitation at her funeral. People we didn"t even know came to tell of the help she had given to them in their time of need. Mom has been gone for 40 years, and I still miss her and talk to her when I am in need.
    That's precious! Thank you for sharing with us!