Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Mom's voice in my ear... >
  • Mom's voice in my ear...

• Mom's voice in my ear...

Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 AM

Sorry to be a day behind but I didn't get on yesterday. My mother was the most talented person I ever knew. She too was a wonderful seamstress. She taught me to hem dresses by the time I was about 8 yrs old. She didn't have one special thing to say but I would sit for hours beside her as she sewed inour home for people. I do not have the patience to have someone sitting beside me when I sew much less talk non-stop while sitting there. She would make 5 dresses a day including cutting them out. She has been gone for 17 yrs. She was 60 when she died and I still miss her. She was always proud of me and I was always proud of her. Suzette
    Old 05-09-2011, 08:10 AM

Mine says, "That's the prettiest quilt you've made yet!"

She has 8 now...
    Old 05-09-2011, 08:19 AM

maryanna, you avatar quilt is beautiful.....does the pattern have a name or is it original?
    Old 05-09-2011, 09:20 AM

My Mother was a devout follower of Jesus Christ and she lived was she talked. When unfair things happened in life, she used to say, "Just remember WHO is the Keeper of the Books"--meaning all our actions are judged by God as to good or evil.
    Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM

Whenever I was carrying an overflowing laundry basket or way too many of anything, my mother would say: "You know that's the way the lazy man broke his back."
    Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 AM

You can do whatever you set your mind too.

This was my mom's mantra: You can do whatever you set your mind to do.
    Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 AM

My Mom and I were shopping buddies. Her motto was "When in doubt, don't buy".
    Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Mom didn't quilt, but she could follow a pattern and make clothing. That's what she taught me to do on her Singer 66. I learned to make my own clothing, because there wasn't money to buy them and I didn't want to wear the neighbor girl's hand-me-downs to school. When I think about what she would say to me now, it would be something like: "You're making WHAT??" "And how did those poor children turn out?" "I'm surprised your still married to that boy!" (45 years and counting!) Wish she were around today, I might just make her a lap quilt! My dad took his last breath under a quilt I made for him and he was always proud of me!
    Old 05-09-2011, 10:52 AM

MY mom used to say. "Why Do I Have To Tell You To Be Good?
    "Why Don't You Be Good For Nothing Like Your Father"

Just kidding. Pickle
    Old 05-09-2011, 10:52 AM

My mother stopped speaking when I was very young. She lived another 20 years after that with little communication coming out of her. I knew that she sewed and crocheted, but didn't fathom the extent of her talent until she was gone. I didn't even know she went to college for fashion design or anything.

She was still alive as a newbie quilter, but didn't really see any of my work. I made her a no sew fleece throw so the nursing home to boil it to their hearts content. I didn't want to see a quilt I made ruined, or stolen, by them.

She died the day after Christmas 2007. I was very close to my dmil, and she passed away that same year, suddenly, in July. She was the one who got the quilt bug to bite me.

I hear Judy, my dmil, all the time. What she would say about my kids, I think of her when I'm quilting. On Mother's Day and my mother's birthday in February, I always do something that I think mom would like if we did together or some little trinket for her. This year, I made a few lacy coasters on her birthday, and for Mother's Day, I made a home-made pin cushion. Just trying to keep some kind of connection to the woman I didn't really know very well. I was 27 when she died, but she'd been sick for 29 years. Neither my younger brother nor myself, knew what she was like when she was healthy.