Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Mom's voice in my ear... >
  • Mom's voice in my ear...

• Mom's voice in my ear...

Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 PM

My mother taught me things that aren't taught to sewers anymore unless they pursue it as a profession. I am still in awe of the things she made over the years. Her determination was inspiring. She showed me how to design and how to make the most of the fabric etc- something few know how to do now. Her skills extended way beyond the sewing machine. She managed on a small church pastor's budget. We never heard her complain, she stood beside my father and found ways to make the ministry shine. the new fraze of recycling was ingrained in her and we learned to turn trash into treasures constantly. We never went with out the basic needs although I'm sure we moaned over many things.
    Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 PM

I'm glad someone else's mother always told her to wear clean underwear! At least there's two of us out there. I was also always told that you should never do anything you would't want to tell your mother about. And ... you never know who's around who is going to tell your mother they saw you ____ (fill in the blank: with that bad boy, not where you were supposed to be, doing a bad thing). Kept me on the straight and narrow.

Funniest thing is hearing myself use those sames words on my boys (ages 9 and 10)!
    Old 05-09-2011, 06:50 PM

When we try out thing's in life are mother would say we all will go up fools and hill but hopeful we will learn from it
    Old 05-10-2011, 05:37 AM

I'm glad for you guys who had Mothers who encouraged you, unfortunately mine would always tell me how much better her's were and point out any mistake. I got to the place where I didn't even show her what I did. Count your blessings ladies.
    Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 AM

My DH's grandmother was my encouragement. I also heard her tell me that for every stitch I take on Sunday, I would have to take them out with my nose at the judgment. I truely hope that's just an old wives tale because I'm going to be very busy taking out stitches.
    Old 05-10-2011, 05:48 AM

I am fortunate enough to still have my mother and living in the next building to me.She has always been a wonderful seamstress and I find myself following by example.Everything she sews is to perfection and although I am far from perfect, I find myself always trying harder to be a better sewer and quilter.
    Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
    I'm glad for you guys who had Mothers who encouraged you, unfortunately mine would always tell me how much better her's were and point out any mistake. I got to the place where I didn't even show her what I did. Count your blessings ladies.
    My sister in law had a situation simular to yours. She clung to my parents as an example early on. She is a woman who loves the Lord and I know she has been working daily to ensure their children do not have the same thing- it is hard for her I can se at times as she reacts more sharpely then needed, but she is trying through prayer and continued effort.
    Old 05-10-2011, 06:14 AM

I hear my mother saying "Make me another Quilt"...
    Old 05-10-2011, 12:30 PM

I still have my Mom and am thankful everyday. She taught me to sew at the age of 5-hemming dishtowels for our kitchen. She also taught me to knit and tried to teach me to crochet-but as I am left handed and she is right handed-it doesn't click for me. We both cross-stitch and now I have her hooked on quilting. She always told me "a job worth doing is worth doing well" - I always think of that when I try shortcuts and they never seem to work out right.
    Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM

My mum could sew but never really had the time...but always encouraged me.....when I finish something I hear her saying 'that's beautiful Ro'.......it never fails to make me feel warm all over.
    She was the most wonderful mother you could ever have imagined...she died 3 years ago this summer...but she is always with me.