Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget?? >
  • Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget??

• Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget??

Old 08-21-2011, 04:01 AM

recently.... since I set up a pay pal account (DANGER)!!!, I've spent around 80 a month..... will need to back off with the winter heating bills approaching.
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:02 AM

I only buy what enough for the project I'm working on at the present time. I don't have a sewing room, YET!, I'm a newbie to the quilting world. I'm working on a hand stitched applique wall hanging project and have purchased fabric for that project. As far as a stash, I have a small amount only because a few people I know have given me fabric when they found out I started quilting. If I was going to budget myself, I would probably spend less than $100 per month. My budget for my Baltimore Album Applique quilt has cost me a few hundred dollars but it will take me quite a while to make my quilt. I haven't bought fabric for the back yet but I have plenty of time to do that. I want it to be 100% hand stitched so I'm in for a journey. Happy Quilting!
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:28 AM

After I get my SS check I pay all the bills... then from whatever is left I put aside a fourth of that for my play money...usually it's used at yard sales, estate sales etc. Sometimes it's used, sometimes not. My downfall is vintage machines and I try to keep a little rainy day cash just in case one of the little darlings wants to come home with me. I'm getting picky with them now only because I'm running out of room :lol: I don't have any credit card debt, if I don't have enough to pay cash I wait until I do. I'm pretty frugal in most ways and my machines and fabric serves as entertainment and as a stress reducer.
    Old 08-21-2011, 05:04 AM

My budget is $100 as well and I do roll the money over to the next month if there's anything left.
    Old 08-21-2011, 05:15 AM

I have called a halt to buying. Am on a fixed income and with taxes, food, gas and everything else going up (except SS), I have to curb the impulse buying. I have a fine stash and loads of projects I want to do. My goal now is to see how many I can complete without buying anything. Also have a good thread stash. You'd be surprised what you accumulate in 83 years.
    Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 AM

I am in-over-my-head from ordering on line! Books, too!
    Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 AM

I've never drowned in expenses because we've paid cash almost all of our lives. If I can't pay for it, I don't buy it. Now we use a credit card for points only. I buy a small bundle of fabric every month the first few days after the SS check comes in. It gives me a high, LOLLLLLLLLLL!!!
    Old 08-21-2011, 05:48 AM

I have a very small disability check I can only spend $50.00 I was babysitting my 8 yr old grandson and my son would give me $60 every other week. I wish mine was like the ladies above. We all do what we can.
    Old 08-21-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
    I have called a halt to buying. Am on a fixed income and with taxes, food, gas and everything else going up (except SS), I have to curb the impulse buying. I have a fine stash and loads of projects I want to do. My goal now is to see how many I can complete without buying anything. Also have a good thread stash. You'd be surprised what you accumulate in 83 years.
    I'm doing the same thing! I haven't purchased any new fabric since Nov. 2010, (oh, except for a back and batting) and it's a challenge to myself to see how many quilts I can make using my current stash, and how long it will take me to use it up. I haven't had 83 yrs of accumulation, but it looks like it! lol!
    Old 08-21-2011, 07:01 AM

I don't have a budget, but I do have my own personal guidelines:

1. Only buy material as you need it.
    2. If I buy material and decide not to use it on the project bought for..that's my stash.
    3. I only buy ahead what I know I'm going to make and why.

Some people have very old material that they don't want to use because it's too out dated. At $9.00 - $15.00 per yard? I can't afford that!!