Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • more hand quilting help...hopefully new questions >
  • more hand quilting help...hopefully new questions

• more hand quilting help...hopefully new questions

Old 07-29-2010, 03:05 PM

I tried using a hoop but never got the hang of it. I prefer my frame, and I never make the quilt drum tight. It has a nice give in it. I will say this...the more you practice, the more you will find what works for you. Oh, and your stitches will improve with every quilt!
    Old 07-29-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I avoid the whole hoop-holding question by using a lap hoop. Here is a picture of the one I love:

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...APTOP-HOOP.htm

It sits in my lap so both hands are free for the rocking motion.

Are you hooping your quilt loosely? I was told to have about a fist-width of "give" in the hoop. Beginning quilters often think the quilt is supposed to be drum-tight.
    This is also the hoop I now use, after years of using a hand held hoop. It is so much easier with this type of lap stand hoop. I got mine on ebay, much cheaper than retail. I see them for sale on ebay now and then. I highly recommend this type of hoop.
    Old 07-29-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
    what size hoop are you using
    I have a 14". I wanted a 10 or 12, but they only had those in plastic (not the embroidery kind but plastic ones that look like wood). This type are much more expensive. I thought about the PVC type, but again, more than I wanted to spend. However, I may use my JoAnn's coupon to get the PVC kind.
    Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by dforesee
    I think it helps when you are learning at first to have something besides just your left arm to support the hoop and keep it from drooping away from you while you quilt.
    That is something I sort of thought about, but all I could imagine was a chair back and I did not think my hoop was big enough to have a chair in front of me. However after reading this, and some others that suggested resting it on something, I think I can do that on the arms of one of my living room chairs!!! Will give that a try and see how it goes.

Also, I actually found the stab method harder, and although my rocking is not great, I feel like that is going OK.

Thanks, and I did not think you wrote a book :).
    Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    I tried using a hoop but never got the hang of it. I prefer my frame, and I never make the quilt drum tight. It has a nice give in it. I will say this...the more you practice, the more you will find what works for you. Oh, and your stitches will improve with every quilt!
    Thank you for the encouragement. I am trying to keep on optamistic outlook on it because I know that things like this take time.

I would like to try a wooden floor frame, but w/the PVC one I just felt the sides were impeeding (sp?) me.
    Old 07-29-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    I would love to have one of these. I quilt without a hoop and, yes, it hurts my hand too but right now I cannot get the hang of doing it any other way. I purchased a standing hoop at the Goodwill last weekend (for $5) and am going to try it on my next quilt. Keep trying different things, don't give up!!!

$5, what a deal!!! I look and look everytime I go to GW but have not happened upon one yet.

Thanks for the encouragement!
    Old 07-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by msariano
    Quite frankly, I'm starting to think about learning to machine quilt 'cause my hands are suffering.
    I plan to learn that too, LOL!!! I really want to be able to do both. I know that more often than not I will probably do it by machine, but to have some done by hand will be great too.
    Old 07-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I avoid the whole hoop-holding question by using a lap hoop. Here is a picture of the one I love:

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...APTOP-HOOP.htm

It sits in my lap so both hands are free for the rocking motion.

Are you hooping your quilt loosely? I was told to have about a fist-width of "give" in the hoop. Beginning quilters often think the quilt is supposed to be drum-tight.
    I have used the Grace Poly Swivel lap hoop for the last several years and absolutely love it. It's very similar to the keepsake one.

http://graceframe.com/gfxoops/modules/sample_module_11/
    Old 07-29-2010, 05:47 PM
    Banned

i use the 14" Morgan hoop. I sit with legs crossed and it resting on one leg.
    Old 07-29-2010, 06:31 PM

When I hand quilted I would quilt at the kitchen table and rest the side of the hoop away from me on the table. That left both hand free to do the quilting.