Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • more hand quilting help...hopefully new questions >
  • more hand quilting help...hopefully new questions

• more hand quilting help...hopefully new questions

Old 07-29-2010, 07:07 PM

I hand quilt using a lap hoop that is a lot like the one sold by Keepsake Quilting and I love it. I like it because I can put it on my lap while I'm sitting in my recliner. This way I'm not leaning forward in an uncomfortable position. I have quilted small table top quilts all the way up to a queen size quilt on it with no problem. It's worth its weight in gold as far as I an concerned. A friend of mine who is new to quilting borrowed mine and ended up buying one herself - and she loves it too.

I was like some other newbies to hand quilting when I started. I thought the quilt had to be drum-tight. When I loosened the tension it was a lot easier to make stitches. Good luck in whatever way that you choose.
    Old 07-30-2010, 06:51 AM

Good luck; I'm sure you'll have in down pat in no time. Let us hear how it goes.
    Old 07-30-2010, 06:59 AM

I checked out a book from the library about QAYG and she had a lot of helpful iinfo in there. She explained how to weave teh tails in instead of knotting. She told how to to stab quilting that sounds like it would be pretty easy too.

I do have my fabric loose in the hoop, just trying to figure out how to hold everything and still actually get some quilting done too, LOL!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. I am going to look into either a lap hoop or maybe one of those stand hoops.

Also going to try sitting at teh kitchen table and see how that goes.

Thanks again!
    Old 07-30-2010, 07:00 AM

BTW, for those that use the lap hoop...are there ones out there where the base goes under your legs instead of on top??? I thought I had seen one like that before but can't remember.
    Old 07-30-2010, 08:53 AM

I echo all the responses that suggest keeping the quilt top LOOSE within the frame. I was told my quilt in the frame should look like a cat had just taken a nap in the middle of it. It has to be somewhat loose to enable you to achieve the rocking motion. I remember being terribly frustrated with hand quilting until I found some good instructions, plopped myself down on the couch and told myself I wouldn't get up until I'd mastered it. Now, years later, I know my stitches are tiny, but my bug-a-boo is keeping the stitches even. Grrr.