Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • More photos re: sashing, cornerstones, borders >
  • More photos re: sashing, cornerstones, borders

• More photos re: sashing, cornerstones, borders

Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 AM
    joy

I prefer the second one... and why orange sashing? Can't make that one out... it would kill it.
    Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM

I like the white, but because of the colors used I would lean more towards a cream or off white. I love the idea of pulling the orange from the print and using for a narrow sashing.
    Old 03-03-2014, 11:23 AM
    Power Poster

Still like the WOW better. The white gives the quilt life. The print as the sashing does nothing for me.
    Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 AM

Depending on how it's going to be quilted, you may want to rethink the flange idea - as a long-armer, I'd be a bit nervous quilting over the flange. Any other long-arm quilters that are ok quilting over flange - I would like to hear if it's ok!
    Old 03-03-2014, 11:30 AM

Love the white with brown cornerstones. But I seem to be more into modern looking quilts these days. I just think the white makes the blocks pop.
    Old 03-03-2014, 12:09 PM

I like the white option too! The blocks really pop out with it. The orange flange, is it just as the first border around the top or are you talking about every single block. I think it would be ok to quilt if it is just around the top but it would be harder to do an all over FMQ with it on every block

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 03-03-2014, 12:12 PM

I think I would like an off white with the orange borders. White seems to much contrast and the other fabric makes it to busy. Just my opinion. Please let us know your decision.
    Old 03-03-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by quilter711
    I think I would like an off white with the orange borders. White seems to much contrast and the other fabric makes it to busy. Just my opinion. Please let us know your decision.

To clarify: the "white on white" is a true off white, much more cream than it looks in the photo, and matches the white vine in the print (though of course, that's not apparent unless you are close up). In the photo, the WOW I'd use is only around 3 sides of the block to the right; the other white (the woven stripe) is a sheet underneath and it is a true white. I just laid it out with the space for sashing to get an idea how it would look, not wanting to cut all the WOW strips unless I know I'll use them.

The orange--to pick up the tiny orange leaf in the print-- would be used not as sashing but only as a very narrow (1/4 inch or less) border or flange next to the outer white sashing and would be bordered then by the dark brown. No way am I putting a flange on each of those blocks; I'm too lazy for that! I don't know about the quilting; the only quilting I've done (besides one handquilted quilt) has been on my Brother 450Q, and I'd probably do this one on that machine, too. It would be a simple stitch near the ditch (1/4" away) around each part of the block, perhaps, or maybe a wavelike stitch (available on the Brother) and I could probably avoid the flange. This quilt is not promised to anyone; it's just another experiment. I'm learning by doing.

Thank you all -- once again! -- for your comments and suggestions. It helps so much to get other ideas and see this project through your eyes! I'll make some decisions soon and promise to share them.
    Old 03-03-2014, 04:59 PM

I like the white too !
    Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 PM

I like both of them. I agree that the white/cream gives a more modern appearance but it's your quilt. Isn't it amazing how a picture is far better than a thousand words?