Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • More questions from a newbie >
  • More questions from a newbie

• More questions from a newbie

Old 03-06-2010, 04:13 PM

here's a thought on the rotary blade--I have been cutting for years. changed a blade, got fuzzies, not cutting well--I
    had put two blades on cutter !! a first for all of us at Sew Day !
    Old 03-06-2010, 04:53 PM

Absolutely the BEST fusible web out there is Misty Fuse and you can get it online at www.Mistyfuse.com. It's fabulous to work with and is almost like working with air, it's so light. I can't recommend it highly enough. All quilters will love it.
    Old 03-06-2010, 07:08 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by newbie1001
    Hi, I just started quilting and applique a while ago. So far I've been using Steam A Seam for the appliques. I like working with it, but the appliques feel and look stiff, even after washing. Is there something else out there that would dissolve so that the appliques feel like two layers of fabric sitting loosely on top of each other?

Another question, I've been doing quite some rotary cutting and am wondering whether anyone has come up with a construction that would hold the ruler in place while cutting, thus eliminating the pressure on the left wrist.

Thanks!
    I just did fusable inter facing turn applique. this left the fabric soft. Penny
    Old 03-06-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by EllaBud
    Absolutely the BEST fusible web out there is Misty Fuse and you can get it online at www.Mistyfuse.com. It's fabulous to work with and is almost like working with air, it's so light. I can't recommend it highly enough. All quilters will love it.
    Also www.overstock.com has it too.
    Old 03-06-2010, 07:30 PM

I just bought the coolest thing for putting on your ruler so you can hold it in place while you cut and keep your fingers off the edge of your ruler. I teach sewing and teach my kids how to use rotary cutters but I'm always freaked out when they use them, afraid someone might cut their finger. These come in 3 sizes, the largest one I felt was just too big, the medium one seemed just right, and I bought a small one too just because.

I got mine from Pine Needle, their website is www.pineneedlequiltshop.com. They are in Lake Oswego, Oregon.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-680.jpe   attachment-681.jpe  
    Old 03-07-2010, 04:02 AM

I'm using a 24 x 6 ruler for cutting the strips and also for the blocks, but so far I haven't been doing any smaller than 9". I have watched some more videos for how to handle the cutter, but don't really see them do anything different from what I do. I really think I have a bad ruler. I'll stop at Joann's later and get an Olfa or Fiskars. The Misty Fuse might also be something worth trying.

Thank you all! This is a great place to learn!
    Old 03-07-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by newbie1001
    I'm using a 24 x 6 ruler for cutting the strips and also for the blocks, but so far I haven't been doing any smaller than 9". I have watched some more videos for how to handle the cutter, but don't really see them do anything different from what I do. I really think I have a bad ruler. I'll stop at Joann's later and get an Olfa or Fiskars. The Misty Fuse might also be something worth trying.

Thank you all! This is a great place to learn!
    If you're going to Joann's you will want to go armed with coupons. You can get them for this week here: http://www.joann-mail.com/J1048JKW/c...85807264640403

PS - this is from the previous post
    Old 03-08-2010, 12:33 AM

Use those little sandpaper circles that they sell to keep your ruler from sliding. I just bought more. There are other brands too.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-1629.jpe  
    Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Two things you might try- for your appliques, try fusible web. It is sticky on one side but not the other. Trace your design on the smooth side, put the bumpy side next to the right side of your fabric. stitch on your lines. Cut a small slit in the web and turn the applique, right side up, now the bumpy side should be outside on the back. At this point you can press to your background fabric, or to reduce bulk, trim out the inside webbing. Press and stitch by hand or machine. Hope that makes sense. As for the ruler, glue a small square of fine grit sand paper to each corner. It will help 'grab' the fabric and not slip. Hope this helps.