Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Morsbags >
  • Morsbags

• Morsbags

Old 03-07-2014, 12:53 PM
    Power Poster

I make what I have always called grocery bags. I know that a city in California called Santa Monica has banned plastic bags and I expect Los Angeles to follow suit. They are not difficult to do but my best friend showed me. I have to look at mind to remember how to make them. She found the instructions somewhere on the web.
    Attached Thumbnails totebag-withdogs.jpg   totebag-hawaiian.jpg  
    Old 03-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Looks like a good use for fabric you like but you aren't quite sure what to do with it. I carry a canvas shopping bag full of stuff I need to my Dr visits. It wouldn't hurt to make a few for shopping too.
    Rodney
    Old 03-07-2014, 01:38 PM
    pw6

cool thanks.. nice bags, but I would line them for strength.. maybe quilt them, not that is an Idea..
    Old 03-08-2014, 07:19 PM
    Power Poster

I love bags, but want to share that if you use them for groceries, especially produce, be sure and wash them
    between trips to the grocery store to keep from contaminating fresh fruits and veggies
    Old 03-08-2014, 07:37 PM

I've been making bags out of jeans and slacks for quite some time. They are basically the same a all these fancy named bags. Maybe I should post a pattern named "Grannie Bags" @@. And I could get rich off it.
    Old 03-08-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by pw6
    cool thanks.. nice bags, but I would line them for strength.. maybe quilt them, not that is an Idea..
    I make my bags from jeans, slacks and skirts. Generally they are heavy enough without lining. I have lined some. I have also inherited some drapery cloth, upholstery cloth and they make great bags without lining.
    Old 03-08-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I make what I have always called grocery bags. I know that a city in California called Santa Monica has banned plastic bags and I expect Los Angeles to follow suit. They are not difficult to do but my best friend showed me. I have to look at mind to remember how to make them. She found the instructions somewhere on the web.
    I took most of my measurements from the easily destroyed bags that the groceries sell. Mine are big longer and the straps are a bit longer, too.
    Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 PM

I was thinkin' longer straps,too!
    Old 03-08-2014, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Letty
    Anyone out there making morsbags ? Sometime ago my group made quite a lot, then I moved.Now I have started up again after joining a local craft group through the U3A.Most of the ladies cross stitch,knit or emboider,I am the only one doing patchwork/quilting.However people have started donating fabric-- old curtains etc.It is fun,keeps me busy and hopefully when the bags are given away -- free-- will help stop the use of plastic shopping bags.Any Morsbag makers out there- Hi- it would be lovely to hear from you. Love Letty.
    Where are you located? We have to pay for our grocery bags at the store (Poland), so we generally bring our bags. I have some in my purse...they fold up really small.

And I don't wash them between trips to the store. I fold it back up and put them back in my purse.

I really can't imagine washing them between shoppings.

Seems like the extra water needed for washing would eliminate any environmental + in using reusable bags.
    Old 03-09-2014, 01:37 AM

My city banned plastic bags last year. Have to pay 5 cents for every paper bag used. Need to make some of these bags. Never have enough and it is very hard getting use to bringing the reusable bags into the store. Most of my bags I can just wipe out with a sanitized cloth between trips if needed.