Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Morsbags >
  • Morsbags

• Morsbags

Old 03-12-2014, 06:09 AM

I took a look around the site. I'm happy to see they're not trying to get rich off the labels. They're only .05 British pounds each.
    It's a great idea but I see a lot of groups that only show one or two bags made. I hope it's just because they aren't reporting in instead of abandoning the idea.
    There is the very real issue that pre-made reusable bags are incredibly cheap, I see them at check out stands for only $1 to $2 all the time. With that ease of availability for shopping bags it's hard to justify your time with so many other good causes out there. They might be good projects for things like outreach centers that teach sewing. The students could make them to either use or give away as part of the class.
    Rodney
    Old 03-13-2014, 03:08 AM

i "confess" I bought some of the dollar reusable bags a few at a time at the grocery store when they first came out some years ago. I only had to repair one at one place even after all these years. I return them to the car after unpacking, so I don't have to remember to take them each time. But thank you for these ideas because I have some leftover drapery goods that I have been wondering what to do with and this is just the thing! I also bought some nice canvas bags and put a cute ruffle and rosette on them to give my girl cousins as a favor for a cousins' reunion. Makes me feel good about using them when they're cute!!
    Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    I've been making bags out of jeans and slacks for quite some time. They are basically the same a all these fancy named bags. Maybe I should post a pattern named "Grannie Bags" @@. And I could get rich off it.
    Hi GrannieAnnie, you may have the wrong perception of this this idea.The lady who came up with this some years ago did so because of her distress over the marine life washed up on the beach that had injested plastic,bags in particular.She also lived on a canal boat and saw the same problem with wildlife.She came up with the idea of Morsbags to pursuade people to cut down of the use of plastic.She gets NO profit from this, only the satisfaction that her idea helps spread the word.Hundreds of groups have taken up the cause and thousands of bags have been made and given away free.O.K it is a simple pattern, that is the point, anyone with basic skills on the machine can make them, plus the heart to give them away free. All the literature ect. on the Morsbag website is free to print out if you wish to use it, the only charge is 50p for twenty labels to sew on to the bags -- this to carry on the message of her 'sociable Guerrilla Bagging'. No one is out to get rich,just maybe save the life of our precious wildlife.Letty x
    Old 03-14-2014, 08:35 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks for sharing. I use recyclable bags. DH went to the grocery the other day. I told him to take the bags out of the back of my Jeep. He was amazed just how many I had. When done since there was a lot of meat purchased, I threw all of the bags into the washer. Then the dryer on low heat. I have a couple that are going to need to be replaced.
    Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I didn't know what they were either but a quick Google search came up with this. http://www.morsbags.com
    Old 03-22-2014, 09:53 AM

[QUOTE=justflyingin;6616605]Where are you located? We have to pay for our grocery bags at the store (Poland), so we generally bring our bags. I have some in my purse...they fold up really small.

And I don't wash them between trips to the store. I fold it back up and put them back in my purse.

I really can't imagine washing them between shoppings.

Seems like the extra water needed for washing would eliminate any environmental + in using reusabl,Hi I i live in Newcastle,U.K. If you Google' Morsbags' you will find all the information you need. X
    Old 03-22-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Yes, I found the site last year and demoed it at a guild meeting...I like it because each side is the size of fat quarter so no measuring, and easy to make. I keep one folded up in my purse...you never know...... Think I will make a few more to pass out to friends....
    Hi Geri B. good luck with spreading the word,we really need to cut out the use of plastic --- for our grandchildrens sake at least. Letty. ''Sewers of the world unite !''